Replacing just a few rads on ageing system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got planning permission through for a large extension to the tired old house I've bought. It currently has a 19 year old Potterton boiler and micro-bore pipe-work to very sluggish rads with corroded valves.

It'll be next spring before we can start the building work, which will include a new central heating system (boiler & hw cylinder) in the new utility room, as well as u/f heating & rads in the new / altered rooms. However, one side of the house remains untouched (hall / living room / master bed / bed 3). We will have to live in that part of the house during much of the work, so I want to get any intrusive work on those rooms out of the way now. We also have to make it through the winter!

So... it seemed like a good idea to me to replace the rads in those rooms, and the micro-bore with 15mm back to the 22mm "spine" that runs under the landing floor. However my plumber advised not to put new rads onto the cruddy old system, so much so that he doesn't want the job. He says do the whole system or nothing at all. He's done a couple of jobs already to try to get the existing system to limp through to next spring and he was f'ing and blinding his way through it and at one point was heard to mutter "never again" (imperial measure pipework, corroded everything, etc.) so I really can't trust if he just doesn't want the hassle, or if his "professional advise" has sound technical justification.

I'd like a 2nd (3rd, 4th, etc.) opinion from the trustworthy folk here in DIYnot please.

Thanks
James

Sponsored Links
If it is as bad as you suggest, then your plumber is correct - in addition to which, microbore was never a good idea.

One way around the problem would be a to have two completely separate systems, with the new system designed to be expanded to cover the entire house eventually, gradually replacing the old.

If it is as bad as you suggest, then your plumber is correct - in addition to which, microbore was never a good idea.

One way around the problem would be a to have two completely separate systems, with the new system designed to be expanded to cover the entire house eventually, gradually replacing the old.

Interesting... in fact if they build from Apr-Oct I could live without heating in the old part of the house until the new part of the house is ready to move into. Had not occurred to me!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back