Replacing kitchen tap, what to do with existing earth bonding wires?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys, I'm replacing kitchen tap and the earth bonding wires are connected to the tap tails which will be replaced with the flexi hose of the new tap, so what should I now connect the bonding wires to as all the remaining pipes are plastic?

I've attached a pic of what im talking about.

From what I can gather, there are 2 earths coming from the CU and going in the kitchen. Wires disappear behind the wall and then there are 2 earths coming from the wall connected to the cold water tail, cold is then connected to the hot, and the hot is also connected to the metal sink itself.

There is also another earth going from the kitchen to the gas meter, can't tell if this is connected to the tap tails or direct to the CU.

Mains supply is all plastic in another room and not bonded.

Attachments

• IMG_0683.jpeg
    IMG_0683.jpeg
    305.2 KB · Views: 605
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
As it is fed by plastic those bonding wires should never have been fitted in the first place. Plastic does not conduct electricity.

However as they are possibly looped elsewhere the best you can do is join all the wires together somehow. Perhaps some form of metal terminal block.

As it is fed by plastic those bonding wires should never have been fitted in the first place. Plastic does not conduct electricity.

However as they are possibly looped elsewhere the best you can do is join all the wires together somehow. Perhaps some form of metal terminal block.

Thanks for your reply man! Do you think I could attach everything to the underside of the metal sink as there is already an earth attach to that?

No. The sink does not need bonding and should not be. Plastic pipes do not conduct electricity. As I said you need some form of terminal block.

Sponsored Links
No. The sink does not need bonding and should not be. Plastic pipes do not conduct electricity. As I said you need some form of terminal block.

Great thanks man for all your help!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back