replacing lead pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
im having all the plumbing and pipes changed at my house, cos i had a full regut done.

do i need to be concerned about the old lead water pipe coming into the house, should i need to worry about changing that to plastic pipe??

Sponsored Links
i dnt know if its hard or soft water. im with essex and suffolk water if that helps...

If you're in a hard water area you'll get lots of limescale in the kettle.

The limescale you get in your kettle builds up over years in the pipe as well. If you're in a hard water area you'll have lots of limescale built up in the pipe, which will go some way to protecting the water from the lead. Running the tap for a bit before you use any water helps too.

Kids, and women of childbearing age, are at much higher risk with exposure to lead.

Only you know if you need to change the pipe for peace of mind.

Sponsored Links
I would

sometimes you can get a grant, or the water company will replace their part of it, if lead. Ask them.

What is the point if the rest of the underground supply pipe is a also lead.

well the reason i want to do it is because if ever the led corrodes leading up to my front door ( i have a drive way also) its my problem. also im considering doing this, as im having a porch built, and at a later date i cant afford to rip my drive way up with my newly built porch....

will it also be lead out on the street??

the stuff in the road is probably iron (unless replaced in plastic) but maybe a lead branch under the pavement to the house

if the water company will agree to replace it up to the consumer's stopcock, and Vik replaces the house side, all done.

If the water co has a replacement programme, they might do the lot with a grant or cash contribution from Vik (that would be ideal)

lead damages brain development in babies, children and the unborn, though old pipes with a good thick layer of limescale are pretty safe.

I know a builder in his 60's with early onset dementia possibly caused by exposure to lead :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back