Replacing light fitting with unusual ceiling rose wiring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In order to install a new bedroom ceiling light, I've taken apart the existing ceiling rose and don't quite understand what I see. The wiring doesn't seem to correspond with wiring examples that I've seen on here and other sites.

Here's the existing wiring:

A couple of questions:
1) Is this normal, or anything I need to be concerned about?
2) I'm replacing this with a new light fitting which needs an earth, neutral and switched live supply. I assume my best option is to rewire what's in the image using connector blocks in the loft space above and then feeding a single 3 way cable through the ceiling space?

Sponsored Links
That is quite normal

From Left

Brown live to lamp
Blue ( which should have a brown sleeve ) Switched live from switch

Brown Live to switch
Brown Live from another rose ( the supply to this rose )
Empty

Blue Neutral from anothe rose ( the supply to this rose )
Empty
Blue Neutral to lamp

Looks like you have a standard loop-in type installation at the ceiling rose.
The blue to the left terminated with the brown flex of lampholder, is a "switch live" this should be sleeved brown to identify this.

The two brown conductors in the central connector are your live loop, when disconnected one is permanently live the other supply's the switch with a live supply.

The two blues to right are flex of lampholder and the other the neutral conductor.

If your fitting does not offer a spare terminal for the live loop, a separate connection block is required for these to be connect together.

And earths connected to earth terminal, ideally sleeved individually.

Would not bother terminating cables in loft, keep them within fitting and easily accessible.

Sponsored Links
The wiring doesn't seem to correspond with wiring examples that I've seen on here and other sites.
It is exactly like the examples you have seen here and on other sites.

A bit more studying before any more doing is advised...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back