Replacing Light Switches - Standard to Dimmer Wiring

No, I mean one that looks aesthetically pleasing with a 600 watt maximum load for your 560 watts that you require.

I see. I'm surprised that one room, that is a relatively recent build (1980s) would be setup this way. Even from a brightness level, it's overkill.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I'm hoping this shows the setup better...

Seven lights, all the same, represented by the gold triangles.

Three switches, represented by blue circles: 1; 2; 3.

Two circuits, represented by cyan boxes. Circuit left, two lights. circuit right, five lights.

I want to replace the switches with dimmers. My plan was therefore, to remove switches one and three and replace with the dimmers. Leaving switch two as a basic on/off switch (I thought you could only have one dimmer per circuit).

Light Map.png

Light fittings to remain
I was just planning on replacing the two switches with dimmers.
Not possible.

Choices:
1. Old light fittings and an on/off switch
2. New light fittings with a dimmer.

There are no dimmers which can deal with those high load halogen lamps and that will also fit into a standard wall box.
For a traditional dimmer capable of dimming 5x80W linear halogen lamps, you will need one rated to at least 800W.
Anything less will fail due to overheating or the substantial current which flows when the lamps are switched on from cold.

Not possible.

Choices:

There are no dimmers which can deal with those high load halogen lamps and that will also fit into a standard wall box.
For a traditional dimmer capable of dimming 5x80W linear halogen lamps, you will need one rated to at least 800W.
Anything less will fail due to overheating or the substantial current which flows when the lamps are switched on from cold.

Thanks, I was going mad for ages.

My deleted post going to be....

Ok. A very expensive option.
£46 for 2 dimmable LED, 4 watts each. Your dimmer manual said 'They only guarantee Philips. Times by 4 £200 Quid for new lamps.
OR. Use your dimmer and install TWO ONLY, otherwise blow the dimmer. I'm pretty sure you would ever use both at max brightness as you said. One is enough.
OR. Change your light fittings.
OR, Rewire and separate them into 3 circuits. (and 3 dimmers/Switches/Combination)
Sorry, I've been thinking and looking for an answer for three hours. I didn't want to be beaten. I'm sure the sparks may have the answer here that you are looking for.

Not possible.

Choices:

Even if I replace the halogen bulbs with LEDs?

Sure, if you can find them at 20 watts each, at was it £46 a pair. You need do way way below the max rating of the 200 watts TOTAL allowed for your total circuit.

Go back to my post #17. rethink.

This will not go away. You cannot just change any one thing. I see in my travels a 600 watt dimmer, but a bulky thing.

Square peg, round hole. You can take ALL but TWO "bulbs" out and connect your dimmer for now until you decide what to do.

Sorry bud, but it's 'Not 'Appnin'

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back