Replacing lightswitches.

Sponsored Links
If only double insulated light switches were more common…
Are there any?

Yes, I believe other countries use them, but I don’t recall every seeing them for UK back boxes. However I have never made much effort to find them.

Plastic back boxes, or the metal boxes with a plastic screw holder goes a long way with plastic light switches and were considered safe in the 70s, the laws of physics have not change since then. (And we now have RCDs for a 2nd level of defense.)

It would not be that hard for someone to design a switch plate that was double insulated, it could come with plastic screws, or have a cover over the screws that needed a tool to remove.

I would rather have NOTHING that exposed an earth on a system given a choose…. How often do earth fault go undetected for years….

Sponsored Links
A plastic light switch does not require an earth. If a metal back box is used you will require to earth the box.

In short- the plastic switch is double insulated until you put the exposed fixing screws into a metal back box.

KA

ALL plastic ones, ye quite a few.
Yes, but that is not double insulated.

The requirement with double insulated accessories (again, are there any?) would be that they must NOT be earthed so I cannot see the point of bothering to make such items.

Please read the definition of Double Insulated.
A plastic light switch has no earth terminal provided as it is not required.
Unless, as I have already said it is fitting into a metal back box.

Regards,

KA

But the point of mentioning double insulated switches was/would be to have a metal faceplate which did not require earthing (and therefore MUST not be earthed) for a system with no CPC.

What would be the point and what about the back box?

When you say Must NOT BE EARTHED you mean cannot be earthed ?

They are plastic, you can earth it if you want, it is pointless.

KA

"Double insulated or class 2 electrical appliances are products that have been designed in a way so as not to require a safety connection to electrical earth (These products must NOT have a safety connection to Earth)."

Find me a light switch with the double insulated symbol on it, and I'll stick £50 in the post to you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back