Replacing/modifying iron soil pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of buying a house. The first job I will need to do is replace the 1960s bathroom. At the moment the WC goes down in to the floor and then in to the steel/iron pipe. The other two exits are the sink and bath. I'm moving the new WC over and the sink to the other side, so the whole lot needs to change. Is it better to cut a section out and replace it with PVC for the new fittings or is it easier to replace the whole stack?

soil pipe.jpg

Sponsored Links
We have one like that. About 20 years ago when we had our kitchen replaced, my mate replaced just the bottom 1.5 meters with plastic so that a boss could be fitted for the sink outlet. He used some kind of a collar to fit the plastic to the iron. The upper remainder of the pipe just slipped inside the plastic. I suppose if we'd been moving the WC, we'd have replaced the whole lot. Ours goes right up, through the roof overhang and out of the roof too.

slip joint coupler?

you need to remove old paint or rust to get a good seal.

But your arrangement looks very untidy, you can get a neater installation if you renew it, less likely to leak.

There is a strong chance you will find the first elbow in the ground is broken and needs replacing as well.

It is normal, and easier, to fit the new pipe starting at the bottom.

Sponsored Links
You'll be best to replace the lot, or at a minimum, everything above the new WC connection. Do not underestimate how much weight is there, cast is often self supporting and relies on the pipework below for additional support. Removing it can weaken that support for whats left above, if the wall fixings arent brilliant, it could come down unexpectedly.

You'll be best to replace the lot, or at a minimum, everything above the new WC connection. Do not underestimate how much weight is there, cast is often self supporting and relies on the pipework below for additional support. Removing it can weaken that support for whats left above, if the wall fixings arent brilliant, it could come down unexpectedly.
It really is barst****ly heavy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back