Replacing MR16 bulbs in disco light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Afternoon.

I am refurbishing 2 Chauvet Colour Bank 8 disco lights. These get very hot when in use as they use 8x 240v 50w JCDR Bulbs.

Is there any reason I can't replace them with an LED equivalent? I can't see an LED alternative as most MR16 are 12v. Would I be better changing them to GU10. Could they handle the flashing?

Thanks

Attachments

• 16922765613417297320064750128601.jpg
    16922765613417297320064750128601.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 61
Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply. I did however state it is a 240v bulb.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I have since seen a video on YouTube where the publisher says he has done this. Do you think LEDs will run in it ok?

I would get an LED (GU10 or whatever) and try it, even if you have to wire it to the back of the existing holder temporarily. The only reason it wouldn’t work is if they are switched with triacs - these are pulsed on and rely on a minimum current to hold them on for the rest of the half-cycle. LED current will likely be too low

Brian

I have used smart lights with the sound option, however it uses the microphone of your phone, so how long the phone battery would last I don't know.

I only did it to see how it worked, and it did work with some TCP strip lights, there are so many smart bulb manufacturers, and every bulb I have seems to need a different app, it did look good as it changed colour with my speech, but I have only used it as an experiment.

There are multi ways of limiting the current in the LED elements of a bulb, resistor, capacitor or pulse width modulated controllers, the capacitor or resistor type is likely around 70 lumen per watt, and the PWM more like 110 lumen per watt, so if you get the poor quality lamps as @Sureitsoff? has linked to it will likely work OK, but likely you will have problems with more expensive types.

A problem you may encounter is the focus of the beams.

The halogen lamp will usually be a very small point source whereas a LED equivalent may be much larger so the lenses won't focus as well for creating beams.

I look at this 1692370945724.jpeg and wonder how your going to get the colours with LED lamps, yes my LED lamp DSC_6799.jpg has the centre lamp colour changing so can get Centre_bulb_colours.jpg varying colours, but to get it to change colours disco style needs it to connect to the phones microphone. Can set it to just change at varying speeds, or to have one set colour, but a colour changing LED is typically around £10 so looking at around £80 to convert to LED.

I see it includes "Includes 8 color gels, (2) x red, (2) x yellow, (2) x blue and (2) x green" so maybe white bulbs will work, but also note "
Power: Switchable 110V/230V • Bulb: 8 x JCDR 50W 120V so question is how is yours configured? Reading the bulb it does say 230 volt 50 watt, but it seems likely you will need a full rebuild to change to LED the panel 1692371818702.jpeg seems to offer many options, and says
1692371977348.png
so I would not expect it to work with other than 50 watt lamps.

Good, at least from that picture you don't have to worry about beams, it's just a flood. Would be interested to know how the colors look in the gel as leds don't output a smooth spectrum of light.

Also, how does it switch the lamps to make it chase?

If dimmed i.e Ramps up and down in a fade, the leds may not like having dimmers attached to them.

If it does sound to light it probably has a built in mic to pick up ambient sound.

I use a fair number of LED Lamps and buy them in different beam widths.
120°, 38° etc
I run them in birdie mini PAR cans

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back