Replacing my WC - should I get my soil pipe replaced too?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to replace my toilet in my 1970's build flat but I think I'll have a serious issue with the way the toilet is currently set up.

I have a very old very disgusting cast iron soil pipe coming through the floor by around 3-4 inches which is connected to my toilet via a plastic connector. Some seal of sorts has been used to make these two fit together - looks like a very makeshift job to me. The cistern is 6 inches from the wall and there is a box to hide the gap.

The respective diameters of the soil pipe and standard toilet connectors are always going to be different yes? Therefore would it be worthwile getting a professional in to replace the section of soil pipe with a PVC one so I can straightfowardly fit a new WC and connector to it? Any idea what the costs would be?

The only alternative would be to try and fit a smaller plastic WC connector into the larger diameter soil pipe but I'm not sure how that could be done and whether it would be worth the headache. It would also require a new box to box in and hide the unsightly soil pipe.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Clean up the inside of the old pipe as much as possible, I used a flat wire brush on a drill for final finish. ONLY START AND STOP THE DRILL WHEN IT IS IN THE PIPE!:whistle:

Sponsored Links
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAC-3-Ca...ast-Inside-Diameter-approx-80mm-/251336366230

Leave the cast alone it will go the rest of the way in cast so you would need a rubber adaptor anyway, very bulky and more joints to leak.
https://www.toolstation.com/flexible-connector/p25396
Thanks, so would the first connector linked be sufficient to use with a toilet connector or would I need the second also? or is the second what a plumber would use to connect to a pvc pipe?

Also is there anything I could use to conceal the soil pipe without getting a joiner to make some kind of box for me?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Ist should connect direct to pan assuming you do not need to extend the pipe. The second is from pvc pipe to cast as you say. I boxed mine in.

I will need to extend it as the toilet will not reach the cast iron pipe

various extenders are available best to pop into a merchant and get their advice on the right bits.

It's the bottom end that will be narrower the fins are tapered to let it fit in the smaller cast, the one fitting the pan will be the same on all modern wc's inside even if the outer varies by maker.
Should come with a pack of grease, only grease the cast end not the pan end just use water to lube that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back