Replacing old boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 15 year old boiler has sprung a leak and it puts out the flames in the burner. Curiously that is exactly what happened 15 years ago to the previous boiler. Both are the same make and type.

The leak is small, I presume, but when the burner starts the steam puts out the flames. On the rare occasion that the burner manages to carry on, if you place your hand over the exhaust, the hot air that is coming out is very humid like a steam iron.

This leak has been going on for a few months now, but we did not know it, even though we saw the steam coming out of the exhaust, never put 2 and 2 together.

The heat exchanger is cast iron. It has been put together with 4 vertical "slices" which are somehow held together, and you can see the vertical seams. Not only you can see the seams from top to bottom, but there is also white scale coming out from multiple places, evidence that the seams have leaked.

I suspect that it is a seam like that on the underside, right above the burner, that leaks.

Do you think it would be possible to plug this leak somehow, are there any pastes I could smear on the seam to try and seal it?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
The short answer - no!

As you have already opened the combustion chamber you need to stop using the boiler and get a Gassafe engineer to advise you.

If the heat exchanger leak, it is knacker and end of life.

Replace the boiler.

And put back chamber cover, switch off gas and electric to boiler and arrange for a new boiler to replace it.

Daniel.

Sponsored Links
There is no switch on the gas line to the boiler, and no way to isolate it, only at the main at the gas meter. Is this correct/common? Should I ask the plumber who will install the new boiler to also install a gas switch somewhere near the boiler?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back