Replacing old fuse board with a consumer unit

I submit, I'm going to get a sparky in who can verify all the work and test to the latest regs.

I'm going to leave my house in a gutted state so he can see all the wiring and advise/adjust if needed.

Appreciate all the comments in my topic, its probably best to get in someone who knows what their doing than chance it.

Hoping I don't get stung too much :)

Sponsored Links
Will they ask for a certificate of installation from a registration electrician before re-connecting my supply?
Under their "duty of care" they have the right to refuse to connect ( or reconnect ) supply to a property where there are doubts about the safety of the electrical installation.

In the absence of a certificate of compliance they may ask you a few questions that most qualified electricians and competent DIYers will be able to answer. If you can't answer them then the "duty of care" will click in and you will not be reconnect.

Good luck, you might be needing it.

See his post from yesterday evening - he has wisely decided not to rely on luck.

Sponsored Links
Ok, I've had a quote from an electrician to fit my new CU which I'm happy with and its all booked in.

Now just a quick question regarding earth bonding.

Currently the mains earth in and the earth bonding to the water, gas and the sink are all on 6mm earth cable.

Is 10mm required now to satisfy regs? I know the sparky will advise either way, but while the house is being worked on I'd rather run new cable and straps now while I can and leave the mains earth to the sparky.

Regards

Depends on the earthing system in the property and some calculations.

Gas and Water (and other supplies) should be bonded at the point of entry.
Sinks do not require bonding.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back