Replacing old Fuse Box with modern consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

Please, can you advise me on replacing my old fuse box, I want to replace it with a modern split load consumer unit (MCBs and RCB etc.). Am pretty sure I've got my head around witring all the circuits in correctly; however, am unsure about moving the +ve and -ve feeds from the meter over. Can I turn these off first so that I can remove them from the old box and attach them to the new? Do I need a sparky or the electric board for this bit?

Help please?

Many thanks in advance, Richard

Sponsored Links
unfortunately for you part P is now inforce and this job IS notifiable to your local council and as such you'll need a certified electrician(under 1 of the part p scams...sorry schemes to do the work for you)
or else involve the local council (££'s)

to answer your question yes you can isolate power to the meter
however involves pulling the main fuse and is definately NOT recommended for a non-competant electrician

hope this helps

spence

Spence, when was it made legal to pull the main fuse? do you know something that we have missed of have you a supply of seals in your back pocket?

Qedelec said:
Spence, when was it made legal to pull the main fuse? do you know something that we have missed of have you a supply of seals in your back pocket?

sorry just seen this, IT IS NOT LEGAL to pull the fuse
I was merely stating that by doing so would "kill" power to the meter as the poster asked.

and yes i do have a supply of seals
:LOL:

Sponsored Links
Hi,
I was a bit concerned about pulling main fuses and used to change con units by taping up the live tails. I phoned my electricity supplier the other week and asked if I could break the seals and was told that if I was qualified or registered with the NIC I could. Basically all you have to do with Southern Electric (Dorset) is break the seals, ring them up, give them the address, they then make a note of it on there system and when the meter reader comes out next he re-seals them. I bet he dosent carry a set of seals of crimps around with him though. However if you do this it covers you if the meter reader asks why the seals are broken. If you ring them and tell them your a qualified electrician I very much doubt they will ask for proof though.
Thanks
Bow

Hi,

On my fuses the seals were already broken, I suspect the previous home owners had got an electrician in and he had broken the seals.

I am not sure what the local electric company think of it but when i was in the electrical wholesalers, the guy behind the counter said that most sparks pull the fuse themselves and the electric company don't care about it.

Lorraine

lorraine said:
Hi,

On my fuses the seals were already broken, I suspect the previous home owners had got an electrician in and he had broken the seals.

I am not sure what the local electric company think of it but when i was in the electrical wholesalers, the guy behind the counter said that most sparks pull the fuse themselves and the electric company don't care about it.

Lorraine

if youve got a new CU or something new what would require the power off to do and they see a broken seal, its obvious why it was pulled so there not likely to say anything

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back