Replacing old light switches

Just out of interest. Why are these switches being replaced? They look like decent MK ones.

Sponsored Links
iv tried the cables terminated with yellow in common, red in l1 and l2 blue ( in the one gang I showed in the picture) and nothing was resolved... If you know what I mean
Do you really think that guesswork, trial and error, hoping to hit on the right combination by chance is a sane way to be dealing with electrical wiring?

Basically you have to choose between Plan A and Plan B.

PLAN A:
PLAN B:
  • Get an electrician.
There are some irresponsible people here who will tell you that there is a Plan C, which is to start trying different things without really knowing what's going on, hoping to get it working by luck, or by blindly following instructions to put-this-wire-in-that-hole without any idea as to why. Please don't listen to them - you must know what, and truly understand what, you are doing.

Electrical-installation-by-guesswork is a foolish idea.

There is no Plan C for anybody sensible.

One step at a time.
Yes, but these should be the steps:
  1. CD_2c.png
    Learn how lighting circuits are wired.
  2. CD_2c.png
    Get a multimeter and learn how to use it.
  3. CD_2c.png
    Identify which conductors are which at the switches and the light positions.
  4. CD_2c.png
    Check for circuit continuity, switches working etc.
  5. CD_2c.png
    Connect everything up properly.

Armed with the knowledge of how switches work, what they do inside, and a multimeter on continuity setting, it would have taken the OP less time to identify which terminals were which, and to confirm that the conductors don't change colour on their journey from one switch to another, than it did for him to take and upload the photos, let alone get engaged in all this back-and forth.

Sponsored Links
When I read that phrase I thought "I hope that doesn't mean that this guy thinks he's an electrician".

Well
Just out of interest. Why are these switches being replaced? They look like decent MK ones.

They are quite old tbh, and a friend of mine had a loads of mk rocker plates with mk neon locaters and wanted them changed.

When I read that phrase I thought "I hope that doesn't mean that this guy thinks he's an electrician".

New to the game of learning, cause as you know you don't learn everything in college. I have level 3 2330.. So still fresh.. Thanks to everyone that helped.
I managed to fix the fault. It was quite simple.
I have one more question. Does a neon locator work with intermediate switches ?

New to the game of learning, cause as you know you don't learn everything in college. I have level 3 2330.. So still fresh..
And you can't replace a couple of *$&%^#@\| light switches?

FFS.

YOU ARE NOT AN ELECTRICIAN, AND GIVEN THE (LACK OF) SKILLS YOU HAVE DEMONSTRATED HERE YOU WILL NEVER BECOME ONE.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back