Replacing old thermostat with Drayton Wiser

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace my existing thermostat with a new Drayton Wiser and a bit confused with the wiring. Attaching pictures of existing wiring and new

Thanks,
Yuri

y4mtsdxiCyw0oStyPMuJukEeytH0i8reIZsbjM2OY9n2Jt31s0kqI7FGVdrgUH4xDvrtfgbqZcQuvQuVh5iQHSJImynKttrru1Nmywy-N44UxT6kU4wruJSEyNS1lQ67KXhoH6exxbhzqEzfAuHaFJzxLJpneueWeLe5hGD-jvCv3QabLCDKp3o0JRKUm8EOo_hFoeHc0gULsHBbakqbeXnyA

y4mLcDOBpwOhTzpYFjE5HaT4EWwNgtEnYWrE5l9DFYx2SAbemGpGPptMDdh1xu1651b5p3S9kN4r0iFdWAbtQ0CrBoZ8N-1aX_1sbN9Zra2ZplEfvS7od27_AG_gWiTHDyzlXou7oA7dsdi-XOoNrVz201cWSPGHY0IashlWXoGm73EaEKCJ8OtuhtWJWSJZqWFOnat7EqLSwEC0gn53yFHLA

y4m4LkjTzNSY7r-Q4840z4XXqrAoeAjCkwWhEdUUSWi-Ye4O0cFX1rmfYe2R06l22EwU5TZk9DeqbOMbxWvy8ghEgmfaMglsvrO2zk9woWKnt8pOKiej3Oyl1n2Ss5hTUgyST2AmBXT3-QcetnbArbIHD09ZEDOMOuK_8hA5QMMs9azbdoZmOsnxZ26kyebT3sVzRis_U1JnPZSpFcZxtnv7A

Sponsored Links
The red wire in terminal 1 of your old thermostat goes to wiser terminal (1) Common

The black wire in terminal 2 of your old thermostat goes to wiser terminal (3) Heating on.

The old thermostat was purely mechanical in operation. However, the wiser receiver needs 230V to power it, so it also needs a permanent 230V connecting to the (L) and (N) terminals. This should come via the same 3A fused spur that supplies the boiler.

Last edited:
I would suggest you find a thermostat that does not need a neutral, there are loads of battery powered hard wired units, for wireless unit look at Nest e. May seem odd, but often the old thermostat works better than the new types, as all one often wants is some thing to turn off the boiler when weather improves, the thermostatic radiator valve (TRV) controls room temperature.

The radiators causes thermals so next to radiator it is reasonable indication of room temperature, but the thermostat on the wall measures a mixture of wall temperature, and air temperature and is often no in the best place for thermals to ensure a good representation of true room temperature.

At the moment in my hall the TRV head is reporting 18°C current and 20°C target but the Nest wall thermostat says 19°C, today reasonable close, it depends if doors left open or closed, but have seen as much as 4°C difference as it takes time for the air to circulate. My living room gets the Sun, so today 2°C difference between the two radiators as the sun has heated one half of the room.

Dinning room cold at moment 17°C where target is 21°C as only went from 18°C target to 21°C target at 4 pm and not enough time to alter the room temperature. Even with programmable TRV heads it takes time to alter a rooms temperature and it can only do it if the boiler is running, so likely to get the dinning room warmer, I need to reduce the target temperature in the hall where the wall thermostat is.

Why don't I use a cheap thermostat? Well I use Nest because I only need two wires to connect the Nest thermostat to the heat link to control both central heating and domestic hot water and I only have two wires, it was not fitted because I want to use phone to adjust it, it was simply because I only have two wires.

In the same way if you don't have a neutral, then easy way is use a thermostat that does not need one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back