Replacing old Triton electric shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everybody - I have an ancient shower unit in which the thermostat no longer works. It may be as much as 25 years old, so time to go I reckon.

Is this considered a DIY job, or do I have to get a team of plumbers/sparks/Health & Safety inspectors?

I can do basic stuff like compression joints, and know the difference between brown and ble when it comes to wiring :D

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It's not particularly difficult, but a likely problem will be the electrical supply - older showers were typically much less powerful than those you can buy today, and the cable, circuit breaker etc. may not be suitable for a new one.

Oh right... so... ummm... what do people do? The consumer unit is at the very other end of the house...

Report in with the MCB rating, post a photo if unsure and the cable size and you will get some replies. If you don't know the cable size it may be stamped on it, or measure the overall width of the grey part accurately and report back.

Sponsored Links
OK thanks - haven't got the cable size yet, but it's a Triton T100e thermostatic, rated at 8.5KW; 40A trip in the consumer unit...

25 years for a Triton shower??

I would contact Triton and let them know what good service you got from the shower, you never know, they might send you out a new one.

Andy

25 years for a Triton shower??

I would contact Triton and let them know what good service you got from the shower, you never know, they might send you out a new one.

Andy

Heh - I've only been here 4 years. As it's so knackered, and knowing the tightness of the people I bought the house from, I was kind of assuming it was fitted when the house was built :LOL:

But I see there are cheapo units available, also rated at 8.5KW, like this one

Heh - I've only been here 4 years. As it's so knackered, and knowing the tightness of the people I bought the house from, I was kind of assuming it was fitted when the house was built :LOL:

But I see there are cheapo units available, also rated at 8.5KW, like this one

If it is for yourself, then you might find it worthwhile investing a bit more, for a fully automatic temperature control shower. They are chalk and cheese, compared to the manual temperature control based on adjusting the flow, just set and forget, irrespective of the incoming water temperature and season.

If it is for yourself, then you might find it worthwhile investing a bit more, for a fully automatic temperature control shower. They are chalk and cheese, compared to the manual temperature control based on adjusting the flow, just set and forget, irrespective of the incoming water temperature and season.

Yes it's for us - I'll do some research thanks :)

Sorry, forgot to ask what is for me the most important question... how complicated is it likely to be connecting up the cold main?

I mean, I expect that'll be a piece of string kind of question, but is it the sort of job where I'm going to have to start making up joints and elbows and little bits of flexi pipe and things, or are the manufacturers clever enough to make it something approaching easy?

Thanks again :D

Using the shower that I provided the link above in, is very easy to fit, hence being called an 'easi fit'.

Take the cover off your shower and post a picture (power to shower turned off)

Andy

Using the shower that I provided the link above in, is very easy to fit, hence being called an 'easi fit'.

Take the cover off your shower and post a picture (power to shower turned off)

Andy

Thanks Andy, and for the videos - it does look relatively easy, even for the ham-fisted and terminally impatient :mad:

If it doesn't have one already, best to fit an isolation valve in the pipe somewhere, just for the shower.

Cheers Harry - good point, which I'd have thought of afterwards :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back