Replacing oven element - earthing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I'm replacing the heating element on a Diplomat fan oven - model: ADP 3553.
The old element has an earth tag but it appears that the new elements come without the earth tag. I am no electrician! Can I put the new element straight in? Do I need to earth the appliance by some other means, and what do I do with the earth wire that is redundant?

Grateful for any help!

Sponsored Links
Have you got a picture of the new and old element and also the earth connection of the oven?
Providing the oven casing is earthed. the element is fitted securely to the oven casing and the earth is continuous back to the supply.
You should not be in any danger from the element not being earthed.

Thanks for replying. The oven is secured to the cupboards by metal brackets which are suspended on wooden shelving. There is no earthing other than through the mains supply.
I haven't purchased the new element yet as wasn't sure one without the central earth tag would be fit for the job. View media item 65768 View media item 65767

If you have not yet purchased element, who do you know there is no earth point.
Have you picture of the connections at the oven to the element?
There earth would only be protecting the metal fixing plate of the element, providing the plate is fixed securely to the oven casing via the plate and the oven casing is earthed via the circuit. Then there is no real issue.
So providing you have an earthed circuit that is bonded to casing of oven, thing should be fine.
If you were really concerned, you could drill a fixing point on to element fixing plate and change lug on earth connection to eyelet type and fix via self taping screw.

Sponsored Links
You can replace the push on connector on the earth wire with a crimped ring & fasten it to the fixing screws of the new element to achieve the same thing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back