Replacing Oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Over Christmas my electric oven broke down and so yesterday collected a brand new electric oven that is self cleaning, turbo fan assisted and so on

Need to wire it in

The old wires are under tiles and plaster and the new ovens' wire is only about 3 ft in lenght, I need at least 6 can I use a junction box or connectors or wire the old wire directly to the new one

PLEASE HELP

Sponsored Links
firstly lets make sure we're all on the same page..

by oven you mean oven right? not "cooker"... as in hob, grill and everything.?

secondly don't use a JB.. not if you can help it..

thirdly, is the oven the same rating as the old one.. ?
replacing an old single oven with a new fancy double that you can have the grill on at the same time is a bad idea since the wiring probably isn't up to scratch..

Is the existing cable suitable, in size, to the new oven?
The control unit should not be in a distance of more than 2m from the cooker.
you may use a JB to extend the cable but you have to make sure that it is suitable to carry the electrical load of the circuit and will be accessible.
I do not know how your cooker was supplied, I mean did it come with a cable already connected? if not there is no reason why you could not connect directly. When I say directly I mean:
from CU to a control unit, not more than 2m away from applience (but not too near at least 150mm).
from the control unit a cable to a connection unit.
from the connection unit to the oven/cooker.

one of these with one of these on the end of the existing cable, screwed to the wall ( carefully and after checking for buried cables.. ) then connect your new oven to it..

we still need to know the existing cable size, breaker size, whether the oven is on the ring or it's own supply.. and what the new oven is rated at so that we can tell you if it's safe..

Sponsored Links
Thank you sooo much for your replies

They are both single ovens, the old one is very basic the new one has a fan

www.teka.com/html/cat/prod.php?prod...en&backto=Ovens&nameProd=HA 850&nameCat=Ovens

The new one is rated at 34 amps

The old one according to the label is 240 50mhz 2.0 KW

The new one comes with a wired cable but its vert short and goes intoo a plastic box where it can be changed although I would rather put a junction box on

where do you get this rating of 34Amps?

2.6KW is what I read from the tech specs..

without knowing the size of the existing cables it would not be prudent of us to say "yes it's fine, just connect it to the existing cable.."..

for all we know your existing may be 1mm flex..

Please do not ignore the cable size, in my opinion this is the most important part of the circuit and it must be adequate

0712280003.jpg

New Cable

0712280004.jpg

OLD

I am quite sure they are the same

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back