Replacing pane of glass in a 6th floor window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I live in a flat on the 6th floor. One pane of glass in the kitchen needs replacing , it has a couple of cracks in it and a redundant extractor fan. I called one glazier round and he instantly said "no mate, 6th floor, too dangerous, can't do it"
Can a glazier repair this? It is a metal Crittall frame , the window opens out at 90 degrees which should make it a bit easier. I attach two photos, one shows the kitchen window and the other an identical window showing how it opens right out. Ay advice welcome. Adam.

kitchen
these windows open 90 degrees.

Sponsored Links
The pic if the open window is not the window that needs changing is it? Can be done, need to cut the glass out first then hack the old putty out, put your arm through to face it up. Done them before, health and safety won't like it but its the only way to do it, just need to harness up

Yes, the lower pic is another window in the flat. The kitchen one opens in exactly the same way. I thought it must be do-able.

I'd clamp around the opening sash frame with two ratchet belt clamps, first having cross taped the glass with broad duct tape. The clamps for someone to hold against the sash falling whilst I unscrewed the hinges. Then change glass and reverse procedure...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks pinenot I thought of simply removing the whole window component and getting the glass replaced but Ii can't see how to remove it, it looks like these windows were made integral to the frame at the factory. They are Crittall about 50 years old.

Probaly bolted on, but my way is quicker and easier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back