Replacing panel, isolate bell box?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am planning to replace my intruder alarm panel and was wondering if there is a way to isolate the bell box in some way to prevent it from sounding when the power, the back-up battery, and the bell box itself are disconnected from the panel.

I was thinking that after isolating the mains supply then opening the panel and resetting the system, could another 12 Volt battery be connected across the +ve hold off and 0V hold off wires to the bell box? Then keeping these new connections intact, disconnect the bell box from the panel?
Would the switched activation feeds to the strobe and sounder need to be connected to hold-off resistors?

The existing panel is an Advantage ZX6, the Bell Box is a Flash Guard by Klaxon.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Sponsored Links
could another 12 Volt battery be connected across the +ve hold off and 0V hold off wires to the bell box? Then keeping these new connections intact, disconnect the bell box from the panel?
Connecting a battery to the hold off output from the panel carries the risk of damaging the panel.

Better to connect one side of the battery and then disconnect the hold off from the panel and move it to the battery. The bell may not sound if this is done quickly. But warn you neighbours in case it does.

There is a way to ensure the bell will not sound with near zero risk of damaging the panel but that is not for public viewing,

could another 12 Volt battery be connected across the +ve hold off and 0V hold off wires to the bell box? Then keeping these new connections intact, disconnect the bell box from the panel?
Connecting a battery to the hold off output from the panel carries the risk of damaging the panel.

Better to connect one side of the battery and then disconnect the hold off from the panel and move it to the battery. The bell may not sound if this is done quickly. But warn you neighbours in case it does.

There is a way to ensure the bell will not sound with near zero risk of damaging the panel but that is not for public viewing,
Bernard, he's going to replace the panel (remove all the wires from the box) so doing what he suggests is the 'normal' way of doing things if you don't want to get a ladder out. - The battery will be standing on the floor, a chair, a shelf etc with the hold off wires connected, very normal thing to do.

It really makes me wonder about people and alarm systems, they are designed to make a noise, that's what they do. Neighbours very rarely take much notice unless they sound for some considerable time, in this case, a short time, twice.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your quick replies.

I am not worried about damaging the panel as it will be heading for the recycling centre after removal.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back