Replacing pitch fibre pipe:-(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The time has come to replace a troublesome section of pitch fibre sewerage pipe installed in 1970. It's about 25 metres long and runs between two inspection hatches. Only serves my property so I have to deal with it!
It seems that the standard replacement is brown PVC 110mm drainage pipe.
Most of the pipe for sale is 3 metre length plain ended, connected with a double socket. Is this better or worse that pipe sections with a built in socket at one end?
The fibre pipe is cemented in to the inspection chambers. Am I best advised to kango out the fibre pipe and cement in the new PVC pipe?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
BS standard pipe is basically the same. I'd buy the cheapest. Have you investigated re-lining? It can be a good option for pitch fibre in certain cases.

Pics of the surface between the two MH's, & down the MH chambers would help.

Typically, dig out the old pipe and lay new pipe - plastic or clay. But dont buy anything yet, first do whats suggested below.

Dig the trench to the MH's and then pic back here with what you find.

Why the reference to a Kango - are you intending to crack concrete?

Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies.
I have lived here for nearly 4 years and this is the first property I have owned with this awful drainage pipe solution - ironic that it is the most recently built, 1970.
I could go the CCTV and reline route but as I would have to pay around £5000 for this far happier to do some hard work and do the job properly myself. It seems that insurance companies and the water companies have all heard of pitch fibre pipe but until now I was blissfully unaware of this thoroughly inadequate product.
The pipe needs replacing because it has blistered internally and blocked. Having read up on it 45 years without terminal problems is as good as it gets!
I don't want to have to kango/break the inspection housing concrete as this will cause me a lot of work. Perhaps I just need to use flexible joiners to connect the fibre pipe stubs in the concrete inpection pits to the PVC and leave the concrete well alone?

Sponsored Links
Use either pipe, the one just saves the cost of a separate collar - ie good for long runs.

You'll need to break out the existing pipe, and make a wide enough hole to allow you to properly reseal around the new pipe afterwards.

Hello, bit late to this thread, but somewhere in my mind, I seem to remember that pitch fiber pipes is a potential ACM?

don't want to go to far down that route if all it needs is a dust mask when cutting it, but is it a precaution that needs to be taken? or have i got this wrong?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back