Replacing plasterboard wall with stair spindles and handrail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there,
We've got a staircase with plasterboard on one side, that I'd like to remove and replace with a handrail and spindles.

What I'm planning to do is use something like a stair stringer board running along the ceiling that I can attach a diminishing handrail to. This would come out a few inches so the handrail is running between the two existing newel posts, but terminating at the ceiling rather than going all the way to the upstairs post (see attached example)

My problem is, that one I remove the plasterboard (cut level with the stairs), then I'll still have the width of the plasterboard wall to cover off, which means the handrail won't be centred but off to one side. Would this look weird? are there other options? I could look at moving the newel post (was thinking of cutting it and using dowel to insert a longer top part), but I'm not really sure where to start on this, and I don't want to mess up the new flooring we have downstairs!

Any advice appreciated.. stair3.jpg stair2.jpg stair1.jpg stair4.JPG

Sponsored Links
IMG_1117.JPG
not a brilliant photo but from memory what I did on this one was to cut a central line along the short horizontal and remove the part that the wall took up. so there's a small (useless) bit of handrail continuing on the stair side.
the handrail stops at that point but a temporary one was added for my mother who was infirm.
That relied on blocks of wood fixed to the landing spindles.

the original stairs had been modified in the 60's/70's by removal of the spindles and handrail. The original landing was boxed in with plywood.

I guess you might be able to fabricate a pair of 90 degree bends into a switch so the handrail continues as one, with a base rail fitted to the ceiling and flowing into the handrail?
https://www.pearstairs.co.uk/richard-burbidge/trademark-hemlock-over-the-post/fittings.html

might depend on how big a leftover chunk of handrail you get? You could glue an assembly together

I ended up with an open void between ceiling and upper floor after removing the old staircase.
I fixed it by using adhesive to glue a thin sheet of MDF to the area then attaching moulding to hide the join.

Thanks for the reply.
the problem i have is more the baserail where the spindles would go into. I'll need to cut away the plasterboard so it's flush with the top of the existing stringer board. That leaves the width of the remaining plasterboard, plus the top of the stringer board, which I can cover with a piece of timber. The problem is the newel posts would then be off center, and therefore the spindles would be off centre too. I'll try sketching a diagram of what I mean

here's a sketch of what I mean. once I remove the wall, I'll need to cover over with timber (orange). The spindles and handrail would then be offf centre - dots showing where spindles would be.
stair2_edit.jpg

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't worry
either use quadrant/Scotia moulding or some more strip timber

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back