Replacing Radiator with Heated Rail: What would you do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've decided to replace the radiator in my (smallish) bathroom with a heated towel rail.

I've found guides on the internet on how to install the rail but how would you guys tackle this?

Behind the radiator is one big hole where the pipes come out off. Now would you leave this & just fill the hole, so it doesn't look so bad or drill 2 smaller holes to feed the pipes through?

Also, is it possible to cut the water going to that radiator or do I need to empty the whole system.... if so how?

Any suggestions or ideas would be great

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'd pay a professional to do it if you've never done this sort of thing before.

Have you sized the output correctly? ie. get a rad schedule and make a guess at the existing rad´s output to make sure your new towel rail isn't too big/small.

With plastic pipe and push fit fittings you will want to leave the fittings exposed. The rubber seals inside are only guaranteed for about 25 years so you'll want to see when they develop a leak. If it's copper on the other end of them, I'd take out the plastic and do the lot with new holes in copper to leave a tidy job.

Good luck!

If it was me, I would

Drain the system
Hang towel rail
Open up plasterboard below
Bring pipes out of the wall in copper off of speed fit elbows
In line with rad valves
Connect up to towel rail
Refill system with some inhibitor
Make good wall below with some new board and paint

Make two 20mm holes in the correct place and put the pipes through them from below where you have opened the wall

Tadah!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies!

So this is what I'm going to do (step by step, I like to make sure):

1. Empty the system.

Q:
I have a sealed combi boiler, so how do I drain it, as there isn't a drain pipe on any of the radiators?

2. Remove radiator & take off the plastic pipe.

Q: Is the plastic pipes connected to copper pipes, if so would I be able to bring these into the bathroom or is it best to connect new copper piping to them?

3. Line up the Rail to drill new holes for the pipes etc...

4. Fill existing holes / paint etc...

5. Fit Rail.

Done?

Other questions,
Does it matter what type of heated rail I use (i.e. what Chrt has said about the systems output)? I was thinking of getting this:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/kudox-curved-white-towel-radiator-1100-x-500mm-524w-1788btu/45438

My bathroom is 210 x 170cm

Also does the new rail need to be earthed?

Thanks for the help!

Jammy, this does sound from your last post that this job might be a little bit beyond your DIY skills and so I would recommend you get someone in to save some heartache.

Good luck

Jammy, this does sound from your last post that this job might be a little bit beyond your DIY skills and so I would recommend you get someone in to save some heartache.

Good luck

surley its just a bit of filling & drilling some holes? If I find out exactly how to drain the system, I'll be ok?

How much would a plumber charge for this anyway?

I would charge about £80-£120

You would normally have a drain cock under a radiator/ by the boiler at the bottom / sometimes on a pipe run from upstairs at the bottom/ a drain valve on the rad valve/sometimes outside the property.

Failing that you would have to manually drain a rad downstairs and then drain it from a valve or get a self cutting drain cock

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back