Replacing radiators with same sized rads

I have the same.

A0E9F507-6F6C-4807-B44D-9ADA470DC293.jpeg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Isnt the ops question ...where should the rad sit in relation to the window sill ?

Isnt the ops question ...where should the rad sit in relation to the window sill ?

The question was where the radiator should sit between the floor and window sill and I suggested 25mm above the skirting to the bottom of the radiator.

Sills can be all sorts of different heights and I wouldn't normally take them into account.

As skirting sizes range from 70 mm to 350 mm ,I wouldn't take them into consideration in determining the height of the rad ,only the height from the floor to underside of the rad , typically being around 150 mm.

Never seen deeper than 350 ,and thought that was goddam ugly !!!

If your completely repiping both pipes and valves, then I usually just measure from the bottom of rad to top of brackets on the radiator (say that’s 21inches) and then measure that size from skirting board up. That will be where top of the bracket will go. So the idea is the rad will be flush with skirting....my old tradesman showed me that first day on the job and it’s always stuck with me (Obviously if you want to see a bit of skirting and easier for wiping skirting etc then go another inch higher)

UPDATE: Based on your very helpful advice, I set this out earlier today. Dry fitted everything, cleaned and fluxed and then calamity struck!
upload_2020-6-28_21-50-20.png

Went to use my Super Fire 2 torch and it was cutting out whenever I turned it upside down (occasionally when upright too). It also wasn't burning a regular flame when upright. Does that indicate depleted gas?

Shake it, can you feel anything sloshing around.
Oh! if its not too late I wouldnt solder with the valves in place,I keep some old ones to keep pipes in line while heating.

Last edited:
Oh! if its not too late I wouldn't solder with the valves in place, I keep some old ones to keep pipes in line while heating.
I haven't soldered yet. Are you suggesting that I tighten the rad valve end before soldering?

I haven't soldered yet. Are you suggesting that I tighten the rad valve end before soldering?
I Just wouldnt solder with new valves on the pipework as in your picture , excesive heat may damage them.
As in my first reply I have some old valves I temporary nip on to keep joints in place to solder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back