replacing RSJ for longer one...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having trouble getting my head around how this would be done in our case and was wondering if someone could give us a run down on how it would be achieved?
we currently have two steels fitted in a T (fitted in house construction in early 30's) with the main one sitting on the downatairs bathroom wall.
we propose to remove the bathroom completely, replace the RSJ and have a large, open kitchen diner. what i dont understand is how can we remove the old steel, which has timber joists resting in it and then fit the new longer/thicker one back into the joists but it also has to go through the remaining joists which sit on the supporting wall? pictures will probably show what i mean more clearly...

current layout..
room01.jpg

proposed layout

room02.jpg

room03.jpg

room04.jpg

thanks for any help..
[/img]

Sponsored Links
Get the steel on site complete with m12 holes drilled (staggered) into the web.

Bolt a pair of timbers into each side of the web making sure you tighten the bolts so that they don't stick out past the timber, i.e. sink em in. The timbers need to be deep enough so that they fill most of the web.

Fix a plank/board to the ceiling where you are likely to be propping allowing wriggle and fitting room for the beam. It may be prudent to have the beam near to lifting point prior to propping.

Fit acros under the plank, wind em up and pop a screw into the tops of each acro into the plank. Plank the floor too if it is timber.

Measure your new beam + the timber sandwich (the timber may sit flush inside the depth of the flange) and cut the existing joist ends so that the new beam will slot into the gap.

Lift and fit the new beam into place then wrap jiffys around the existing joists and fix the jiffys to the new web timber.

P.S. use a line, laser or long straight-edge to mark the joists rather than just measure the ends. A steel beam will not bend!

thanks for the info there, that has really helped me understand whats going on! i'm not sure if i'll tackle this myself (i might do though depending on how much it'll cost!) we were most worried about wrecking the upstairs as that has all been re-decorated. we wasn't going to takle the kitchen just yet but as the ceiling starting coming down it kind of forced our hands. one more question, after the current rsj, and between the full length joists, the brickwork continues up through the bedrooms, i take it this would have to be somehow supported?
thanks again,

Sponsored Links
one more question, after the current rsj, and between the full length joists, the brickwork continues up through the bedrooms, i take it this would have to be somehow supported?
thanks again,

Same idea as the props for removing the existing steel.

Scaffold boards along ceiling and floor joists as close to the wall as possible then acros.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back