Replacing Salus RXWBC605 with Tado Wireless

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a Salus RXWBC605 receiver connected to my Worcester Greenstar 37CDI combi boiler with ST621RX controller/thermostat.

Bought a Tado wireless thermostat (and smart valves) to replace Salus. I was hoping it to be a easy diy task of removing old unit and reconnecting new unit, but I can't find much information on replacing an integral receiver with Tado. I did find one here which I guess is similar https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/replacing-salus-vbc600rx-wireless-thermostat-with-nest-e.540498/

But I don't have a clue on how my existing setup wiring is and before I even attempt to open the boiler and take the existing Salus receiver out, wanted to ask it is a basic job or should I rather call a plumber. I can do basic diy/wiring tasks but don't want to blow the boiler :)

Any help will be hugely appreciated, thanks in advance.

253735-2b71007f8be42c22ad66d10533f2549f.jpg

Sponsored Links
you shouldnt be removing the cover on that boiler Im afraid

Since you’re honest enough to say you don’t have a clue I’ll be honest, call a competent gas engineer au fait with wiring. As per @ianmcd, that boiler cover forms part of the combustion circuit, so opening up by a non competent person is a no no.

Thanks @CBW and @ianmcd . Understood, will call a gas engineer.
Really appreciate the quick reply and advise.

Sponsored Links
before I even attempt to open the boiler and take the existing Salus receiver out
the Salus receiver is disconnected and the unit is left in place but doesnt do anything, other wise you would have a big hole in the facia, you can buy blank plates for the facia if you want though

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Read the boiler installation manual.
It will tell you how to decommission the timer module and what is needed for an external control system.
Read this in conjunction with the Tado manual and you can easily figure out what wiring is needed and what isn't. (Tis simple enough).

You can then prepare as much or as little as you want for any engineer you may call out or not to complete the work.

the Salus receiver is disconnected and the unit is left in place but doesnt do anything, other wise you would have a big hole in the facia, you can buy blank plates for the facia if you want though
Yes, as you rightly said, I can still leave it on the front (disconnected) or buy a face plate.

Read the boiler installation manual.
It will tell you how to decommission the timer module and what is needed for an external control system.
Read this in conjunction with the Tado manual and you can easily figure out what wiring is needed and what isn't. (Tis simple enough).

You can then prepare as much or as little as you want for any engineer you may call out or not to complete the work.
I have to admit, I panicked. Reading further and watching youtube, disconnecting existing Salus receiver looks fine to do. Wiring the new receiver is where I am still unsure, but I will continue to read more and then decide if an engineer is needed.

Thanks everyone, will let you know how I get on :)

I have to admit, I panicked. Reading further and watching youtube, disconnecting existing Salus receiver looks fine to do. Wiring the new receiver is where I am still unsure, but I will continue to read more and then decide if an engineer is needed.

Thanks everyone, will let you know how I get on :)

It's easy if you remember that mostly, a boiler is dumb. It just looks for a live 240v on the switched live terminal to call for heat.

Everything else is set up to get that live to it as and when needed.

Best of luck

Thanks everyone, managed to get it all working. Tado app was very helpful in showing which wires connect where for the boiler model, so that helped.

For anyone interested, all it needed was 3 cables from Tado to be connected to ST10 in the boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back