Salus RT510RF to Tado system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hoping someone can help. I used to have Tado fitted at home until I replaced this with Heatmiser due to introducing underfloor heating. The Tado equipment I have is the Internet bridge to connect to the router, a Tado Extension kit and a wired Smart Thermostat.

My son has recently moved into his new home. The heating system comprises of a Main ECO COMPACT 30kW Combi Gas Boiler, a Salus RXRT510 receiver which is wired to the boiler and a Salus RT510TX wireless thermostat. I would like to replace the Salus setup in my son's home with the Tado system so that my son can control his heating remotely via the Tado app.

Is this possible?

Sponsored Links
Is this possible?
Probably!

a wired Smart Thermostat.
If you have the Tado wired smart thermostat (despite the name), it is battery operated.

The wires in the RXRT510 receiver will copy across N/O to N/O and COM to COM on the Tado.
Any other wires that are left, can be placed into the Tado's parking terminals.
If there is a link wire in the RXRT510, between L and COM; the L can be placed into the Tado's COM terminal and the link wire can be disposed of.

I hope that makes sense.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
as requested @RandomGrinch, I have attached photos of each of the two Tado Smart thermostats I have. I am 99% certain, both these thermostats were wired before the heating engineer removed them when the Heatmiser thermostats were installed. Each of these Tado smart thermostats also contain batteries.

I have also attached a photo of the Tado Extension kit. Based on the photo, if you can let me which of the terminals I need to wire, that will be great. I think I may need to go to my son's place and open up the RXRT510 receiver to see how it is wired.

Tado Extension kit.jpg

Let me know if you need any more photos / details.
Tado thermostat 1.jpg
Tado thermostat 2.jpg

Is there an old wired thermostat at your son’s place? I think the extension kit is only to make existing Tado wired thermostats wireless?

As in my first post.
You have the battery powered 'wired' thermostat.
The wires in the RXRT510 receiver will copy across N/O to N/O and COM to COM on the Tado.
Any other wires that are left, can be placed into the Tado's parking terminals.
Ignore the extension kit.

• Thanks
thanks @RandomGrinch. If I ignore the extension kit, where do I wire the wires that are currently in the Salus RXRT510 receiver? This receiver is currently in the bedroom on the first floor where the boiler is located (boiler is inside a cupboard and the Salus receiver is just outside the cupboard). The wireless Salus thermostat is positioned in the living room on the ground floor.

Stupid question but if I ignore the extension kit, why did I have it in the first place when I had the Tado setup in my own home?

Stupid question but if I ignore the extension kit, why did I have it in the first place when I had the Tado setup in my own home?
You could have a different setup than your son’s.

. If I ignore the extension kit, where do I wire the wires that are currently in the Salus RXRT510 receiver? This receiver is currently in the bedroom on the first floor where the boiler is located (boiler is inside a cupboard and the Salus receiver is just outside the cupboard).
It would be nice to know all the facts first! ;)

In which case, as @CBW says...
I think the extension kit is only to make existing Tado wired thermostats wireless?

You would connect the extension box in place of the RXRT510.
N on RXRT510 to N on The extension box
L to L
Swap the jumper on the back from position 2 to position 1
Then connect,
COM to COM (terminal 1)
NO to NO (terminal 4)

However, the wiring behind the RXRT510, may differ - post a photo here, of that wiring before attempting to make the changeover, if you are unsure.

Also install the wireless bridge.

Your second thermostat - model number RU01, should be wirelessly linkable to the extension box.
Instructions here...

The thermostats alone, don't have the ability to control hot water.
The extension box allows this and also provides the wireless connectivity that your son needs.

• Thanks
good morning @RandomGrinch , @CBW , and everyone else who may have looked at this post :giggle:. I have attached a photo of the wiring to the Salus Receiver. There is a link wire between L and COM. I also noticed the earth wire coming into the Salus Receiver has a brown sleeve on it just as it's wired into the 'NO' terminal.

Looking at my Tado extension kit, I noticed it has two wiring sections - 'Relay wiring 1 - Potential Free' and 'Relay wiring 2 - Switched Live'. Which one of these wiring sections would be used?

I have also attached a photo of the 'jumper' position at the back of the extension kit. When I pulled it out, it appears it was in position 2. I assume I just turn that around so that it goes into position 1? As a matter of interest, what will this do by swapping the jumper from 2 to 1?

Based on this, can you advise how I should wire up the extension kit?

At the moment, I have the Tado devices (Internet Bridge, Extension Kit, 2 x Smart Thermostats) registered to me on my Tado account/app. Would I be better off unregistering them first (if there is such a thing) so that my son can create a new Tado account and register these devices to his Tado account/app at his home?

Attachments

• Tado jumper.jpg
    Tado jumper.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Salus Receiver wiring 2.jpg
    Salus Receiver wiring 2.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 15
As a matter of interest, what will this do by swapping the jumper from 2 to 1?
As in the diagram on the rear, the jumper swaps the Tado between the two modes - essentially, one mode (potential free) for combi's, and one (switched Live) for boilers with separate water heating controls.
Screenshot_20240321-095701_Chrome.jpg

As this will be attached to a combi, it makes sense to use the potential free setup - position 1.

Based on this, can you advise how I should wire up the extension kit?
Brown to L
Blue to N
Green/Yellow (oversleeved Brown) to terminal 4
Attach the small Brown link wire between L and terminal 1

Note, that under current regs, it is no longer acceptable to oversleeve the earth wire for use as a switched live - however, for a simple thermostat swap, you should be ok!

Would I be better off unregistering them first (if there is such a thing) so that my son can create a new Tado account and register these devices to his Tado account/app at his home?
It seems to be a simple process...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back