Replacing Shed Roof Felt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Moved into a new property a few months ago and the shed roof is leaking quite badly following the recent downpoors. I've had a look at the roof and there are obvious gaps in the felt which is where the water is coming in. Therefore looking to replace the felt and hoping for a bit of advice as to the best way to do it.
The two pics at www.diynot.com/network/DINGO1303/albums/
show how it was previously done and the gap down the middle where most of the water is coming in.
What is the best way to redo it? And how much (and where) felt should go over the edges. I was quite surprised to see the felt at the front simply went to the edge as opposed to over it.
Many thanks in advance.
Adam

Sponsored Links
DINGO1303 said:
I was quite surprised to see the felt at the front simply went to the edge as opposed to over it.
I can only see one photo of the roof, so the details ate not clear, however, if you remove the fascias, you should find that the felt is trapped behind them. The lower edge should have an overlap so that the rain drips off well below the edge of the roof.

Remove all of the existing felt and felt nails

Check that all other nails are driven fully home, and splinters removed, so that nothing sharp remains that could puncture the new felt.

A detailed description of how to apply the new felt can be found below. It doesn't all apply to you, because yours is not an apex roofed shed so the last two parts are not required.

Re-Felt a Shed Roof

The idea is to make sure there are good overlaps everywhere so that the rain cannot be blown under the edges, that it's laid without wrinkles to prevent water running off freely and that it is well fastened down around the edges to prevent the wind lifting it.

Finally replace the fascia boards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back