Replacing slabs with Turf

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

This is a similar question to one I just read.

I am ripping up paving slabs to replace with a lovely lawn:

I was going to skip all the broken slabs and walls but someone has suggested I could just use it as fill. If I dont fill then my lawn will be a lot lower that the the neighbours. How much of this rubble can I use as fill? How do I stop the topsoil dropping through the cracks

Cheers,

Mick

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
So, you are saying that I should fill over 50cm with expensive topsoil instead of 6 inches of soil with hardcore underneath?

Why?

It will be much more expensive, I will have to pay to get rid of the broken slabs then pay for soil to fill their void.

The best optiton here would be soil, if you use rubble the lawn will be uneven! if you fill the the garden with topsoil you will get a more level finish! :)

Can someone please explain why using rubble for the fill is a problem?

Obviously I will place enough soil on top to make sure it is level before adding turf.

If I was putting houses on it I would compact to reduce differential settlement but its only a lawn.

Obviously I will place enough soil on top to make sure it is level before adding turf.

If I was putting houses on it I would compact to reduce differential settlement but its only a lawn.

Read this thread.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=324393

http://www.brand-newhomes.co.uk/forum/smf/snagging-and-defects/poorly-laid-turf/

http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/173257-my-lawn-rubbish-can-anyone-tell-me-why.html

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060926133232AA2gLs7

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120307111155AAvBmMC

I could go on and on but I wont.

I could find lots of links that "prove" my argument as well but that wont really help.

If you read a few of those links they actually say that I just need to put plenty of soil on top and it will be fine.

Can you explain why your so defensive?

You asked a question and got pretty sensible and fair replies.

Sounds to me like your determined to cut costs and grow grass on top of rubble. So why ask the question. Good luck with your lovely new lawn

I could find lots of links that "prove" my argument as well but that wont really help.

If you read a few of those links they actually say that I just need to put plenty of soil on top and it will be fine.
Plenty of soil , Yes about 50cm should do it.

Unless you crush the rubble up you're going to get settlement over time. Your thin layer of soil will percolate into the rubble and the lawn will be ruined. When I say crush I mean tiny bits, which you won't do without mechanical help = cost.

You don't have to use topsoil, you can buy subsoil at a much cheaper rate, sold specifically for fill jobs. Trample it down gently in 3-4 inch layers to avoid any air pockets without compacting it too much. Use quality soil for the top 6 inches.

As you have roadside access, hire a grab rather than a skip. Same price, takes more tonnage and saves you having to load a skip. You can bet the grab company will sell screened soil as well which you can use as subsoil. Topsoil should perhaps come from a landscape garden centre where it's not likely to be screened skip waste and often blended for purpose, ie. turf.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back