Replacing spalled brick, tools and avoiding cavity filling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Are there any special tools for replacing spalled bricks, especially, to avoid filling the cavity.
Cheers, Camerart

Sponsored Links
Duck tape to cover surrounding bricks and replacement brick. Really keeps bricks clean.
Never had a problem and easy job. This took 2 hours but I don't have a picture with duck tape over bricks. Wedged bricks to pack in correct position.
I drilled around bricks to loosen.
Pull duck tape when its all set.

Sponsored Links
Buy yourself a nice masonry blade for your reciprocating saw, drill a few holes to get the blade in and just cut around - it won't cut brick but it'll go through the mortar easily enough. For replacing bricks I always shove some cavity insulation in first to stop the mortar spilling out the back.

Hi Al,
Not sure about the chisel!

I like the idea of a masonry saw.

One thing I noticed, while reading a bit about this. The mortar in my house has lime in it, and it's been pointed with no lime mortar, which may have caused the spalling.
Thanks, C

Buy yourself a nice masonry blade for your reciprocating saw, drill a few holes to get the blade in and just cut around - it won't cut brick but it'll go through the mortar easily enough. For replacing bricks I always shove some cavity insulation in first to stop the mortar spilling out the back.
Hi,
Good tip about the insulation

I've been looking at saws, some reciprocating out/in and some horizonrally, also for horizontal cutting wheels.

Has anyone used the arbortech ones? or ones with a triangle shaped saw?
C

I second the recip saw. With the right blade, works a treat.

Hi,
I had a quick look at saws in B and Q, but none of them mentioned masonary, only plastic, steel and wood.
Can anyone suggest a resonably priced one please? (it won't have much use)
C

Hi J,
It looks quality!
Will it fit any of the reciprocating saws? I see one the same site, £60 to £360. As I won't be using it much I would buy the one of lower end ones, is this ok? I understand get quality tools, but not for for this purpose.
C

For a one off job, get the cheapest - or at least cheaper end. Check the saw to be 100% sure but I think all the blades will fit all the saws.

Hi J,
I bought the Bosch saw suggested, only to find that it isn't suitable for 9" solid walls.
C

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back