Replacing Storage heaters help needed

Storage heaters use less expensive tariff overnight, and for people who get up early and are at home all day they are not too bad, for example retired or with babies, but if you are out at work all day you will not get the advantage of the heat and they will be running out by the time you get home.

This is an acknowledged problem with storage heaters, and, with the high cost of electricity, is why many users will never have them again

Sponsored Links
notice: this thread asking about electric heaters has been moved from plumbing to electrics.
As mainly about plumbing here, not sure how much good advice you'll get

Unless I'm going mad, this thread is now in electricsuk forum and started in plumbing and heating!
Could we have a something notifying thus at all mods?

Replacing the storage I'm using (3 out the 5) so I can set timers and temps.
I'm leaning towards electric radiators rather than panel/convection heaters on what I've read but I'm not sure good from bad

Be careful of the false claims for electric radiators, a 2kw heater will generate 2kw of heat, whether its £20 or £300. Obviously complexity of programming can make a difference.

I would be tempted to try a couple of budget heaters to start with and a decent timer and see if they heat enough.

Something like these:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/manrose-hconht-freestanding-convector-heater-2000w/855ft

This one seems like it can be wall mounted:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B019IZHSQG/ref=psdc_3147681_t2_B00O0WJYUG

Ive used the screwfix one which worked well in a small office, but Im not recommending these specifically, just the idea.

Dimplex do one, but the regs have changed and its not sold as wall mountable, i dont know how the rules have changed, something to bear in mind
https://www.screwfix.com/p/dimplex-...0w/2464d#product_additional_details_container

Wall mounted is safer, much less chance of touching the sofa or something.

There has been no great improvement in efficiency in electric heating so you can’t save any money by swopping you current set up for anything new .

Well no you can't get better than 100% can you?

Sponsored Links
To be honest here (as long as you don't have young children in the place) you'll be best off investing in some long johns and switching the night stores off.
If you want a warm room, those portable gas heaters that take a 15kg cylinder are much cheaper to run than any electric heater, fairly quiet and throw out a lot of heat (mine keeps an 8m x 4m room warm morning/evening for 2 months on a cylinder cost £35)
Until you can afford GCH, accept that you can't lounge around in T shirt and boxers in the winter (no shame in it, been doing it here for 2 years)

Variables?, your complexing simple questions. As for gas ?,
1)I have a gas feed no metre.
2) I cannot afford GCH right now,
3) Grant's? I'm not on benefits
4) 0% finance, it's a myth they just add the finance to the price and % it is not. I have looked at those options.
5) my question was about electric wall heating makes models manufactures to replace 30+ storage heaters as a "temp" measure I could sell them on at a later date.

Im just after peoples experience with electric heating best option.
Variables? You are clearly over thinking it there pal.

Ok so hypothetical question here,
I gave no gas what's a good controllable cheap to run electric wall heater make brand model ?
There no variables:)
I've just watched Ian thingy me bob on youtube from BBC Rougue traders explaining electric rads but alas he did not name which roughly 3p an hour to run

Be careful of the false claims for electric radiators, a 2kw heater will generate 2kw of heat, whether its £20 or £300. Obviously complexity of programming can make a difference.

I would be tempted to try a couple of budget heaters to start with and a decent timer and see if they heat enough.

Something like these:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/manrose-hconht-freestanding-convector-heater-2000w/855ft

This one seems like it can be wall mounted:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B019IZHSQG/ref=psdc_3147681_t2_B00O0WJYUG

Ive used the screwfix one which worked well in a small office, but Im not recommending these specifically, just the idea.

Dimplex do one, but the regs have changed and its not sold as wall mountable, i dont know how the rules have changed, something to bear in mind
https://www.screwfix.com/p/dimplex-...0w/2464d#product_additional_details_container

Wall mounted is safer, much less chance of touching the sofa or something.
Thank you so much someone who has answered the original question with helpful advice.
I'm sorry if I posted in the wrong my apologies. But replies regarding long johns or insulation or grants for GHC did not help or answer my question.

Ok so hypothetical question here,
I gave no gas what's a good controllable cheap to run electric wall heater make brand model ?
There no variables:)
I've just watched Ian thingy me bob on youtube from BBC Rougue traders explaining electric rads but alas he did not name which roughly 3p an hour to run

There are no cheap to run electric wall heaters as electricity is expensive (3 to 4 times that of gas).

At current electricity prices 3p an hour would equate to around 250 watts or less. Just enough to heat a small toilet with the window closed! No way would that heat a house.

electric rads but alas he did not name which roughly 3p an hour to run

electricity at normal tariff costs about 15p per khWh

Therefore a heater that uses 3p of electricity per hour is putting out on average 200 watts per hour

Two old-style light bulbs would give as much.

heat output from electric heaters is 100% proportional to electricity used, and, therefore, to cost.

edit:
too slow

Its physics. Each room in your house has a heat loss value- this is the amount of thermal energy per hour that the room loses to outside. Supplying that energy via electric heat will cost you about 17p per kwh.
Best of a bad job are fan heaters-noisy but you will feel the warmth.
After that the radiant heaters
Bottom of the list wall mounted convection heaters, oil filled radiators etc. Don't be conned by magic electric radiators from Switzerland or wherever, they don't create heat out of thin air, they require energy input to emit heat.
But to feel any warmth you will be burning a minimum of 1kwh, more likely 2kwh per room heated for 5 hours a day. Cost £1.70 per day per room, which sounds OK but quickly mounts up.

Ok so I'm taking in all you say and by all accounts and thoughts on cost etc, electric radiators are expensive, dear to run, wont warm a toilet up, so who is making them and who is buying them ?.
I'm not a central heating engineer nor a spark I needed buying heating advise. I now know I posted in the wrong section i.e GCH my apologies but to be told to wear long John's doesnt help and is a bit of an insult.

I wouldn't like mention Brexit in here !! :)
Oh and heres the link I watched regarding electric heating. I bet gasguys grind their teeth at it

Ok so I'm taking in all you say and by all accounts and thoughts on cost etc, electric radiators are expensive, dear to run, wont warm a toilet up, so who is making them and who is buying them ?.
No. You were told that 3p per hour equates to 200W; i.e. two 100W bulbs so not going to heat much.
I got the impression he was averaging it throughout the year, so it depends on the usage.
Half the year (more in Britain?) for half a day immediately quadruples the 3p.
Did he tell us the actual Wattage of the heater - before showing a larger one in another room?

I'm not a central heating engineer nor a spark I needed buying heating advise. I now know I posted in the wrong section i.e GCH my apologies but to be told to wear long John's doesnt help and is a bit of an insult.
It's not an insult, it is an example.
If you want to walk around in shorts and tee-shirt in Winter then the heating will cost a lot more.

Oh and heres the link I watched regarding electric heating. I bet gasguys grind their teeth at it
Salesman for the electric appliances, I would think.

That little tank does not supply limitless hot water like the gas boiler.
Was there not an outside wall to the left of the boiler instead of running the flue through the living room?

2) I cannot afford GCH right now,
In that case, you can't afford new storage heaters either.
All new storage heaters require dual supplies, so rewiring will be required. You can't get the single supply types any more.
New storage heaters cost £500+ each, so 4 or 5 of those plus installation will cost as much as gas heating to install, and still cost more than gas to run.

Panel heaters will cost a fortune to run as they will use the high price day rate electricity rather than the cheaper night rate.

All electric heaters are equally efficient, so if you have no money for installed heating and need some extra heat, the sensible option is to buy some cheap plug in electric heaters for now.
Something like this: https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9190629
They will still cost a pile of money to run, but that's the same as any electric heater - including the overpriced wall mounted panel efforts with fancy names, fancy controls and the claims of low running costs. It's all lies.

The only way to reduce costs with electric heating are to use a heat pump - which will cost even more than gas heating to install, and might have similar running costs to gas.

Variables?, your complexing simple questions.

No "Pal"... If we're going down that route! :rolleyes:

"Variables" meaning...

How big is your home?
How many rooms?
How many doors that get closed?
Which rooms need to be heated?
How many people?
What times does it need heating?
To what temp?
What's your heat loss per room?
What's the traffic through the house?
Are you rural or urban?
Are you or any in the house suffering any illnesses (internal thermostat ones)
Are there any children in the house.
What are you "hoping" to spend to get "your solution"
What sort of budget can you stretch too?
What football team would you like to watch on MOTD without wearing your coat?

Etc, etc, etc...

FFS! There's "lots" of things my three kids would "like" but they "can't" have!

Its like conversing with one of them... Wait, no it isn't, because they actually listen!

Jeez wept :sick:

I give up mate (or pal) good luck with your magic solution... How about some effin candles? (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back