Replacing the pad on a detail sander?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a Titan detail sander from Screwfix many moons ago and have used it only several times, in fact, it's only very recently that I've had to source new sanding sheets as I've now used the ones that came with the tool. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any that matched the holes but did find some that were close enough from Toolstation.

My problem is that after one or two sheets, the sheets no longer stick to the pad but fly off instead. Do you think it's because the pad needs replacing or dust is getting in between the paper and the pad because there's a couple of holes that either only slightly match up or not at all?

I've read that you have to eventually replace the pad but mine hasn't been used enough to be worn out. This model is no longer available and I'm not sure if can even get a replacement.

Is there a generally accepted hack of replacing pads on these tools when the specific one is not available?

Sponsored Links
I had this exact issue with a random orbit sander.

I got a new pad, but then discovered that for some bizarre reason the problem was the old sanding sheets not the pad!

I use sacrifice pads , you can get foam pads which attach to machine pad and then add sandpaper , the original is never used so extends the life of it.

Sponsored Links
I use sacrifice pads , you can get foam pads which attach to machine pad and then add sandpaper , the original is never used so extends the life of it.
That's exactly what the Abranet pad saver does

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back