Replacing timer with wireless thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!

I'm about to replace an old timer with a wireless thermostat.

I've taken the old one off the back plate and see 5 wires attached.

The installation diagram for the new one shows only four attached wires.

Looking at the diagrams do I attach the extra wire (currently on 2, off) to NC1 on the diagram for the new thermostat?

Also, what do I do with the earth wire?

Cheers for any help!

Sponsored Links
Very unusual to have a wire connected to an Off terminal (2). Can you find the other end and post what it is connected to?

Can you confirm if L is linked to 1? It doesn't look like it, but it will affect the wiring of the new device.

Do you have an existing room stat?

As for the earth, the new stat may have a terminal where you can park it. If not, stick the end in a small terminal block and hide it in the wall.

Very unusual to have a wire connected to an Off terminal (2). Can you find the other end and post what it is connected to?

Can you confirm if L is linked to 1? It doesn't look like it, but it will affect the wiring of the new device.

Do you have an existing room stat?

As for the earth, the new stat may have a terminal where you can park it. If not, stick the end in a small terminal block and hide it in the wall.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I'm glad it's not just me who that the extra wire was odd. I'll trace it back tonight when i get home and post a pic if I can, and check if L is linked to 1 but I'm fairly sure it isn't.

There's no existing room stat - the boiler is in the loft and has an old frost stat attached to it...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back