Replacing Wall Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A simple question (I hope), but I am replacing some uplighters on the wall with brass wall lights. I have removed the first uplighter, and need to connect the wiring, but the width and size of the gap behind the new brass wall lights is too narrow and shallow to enclose a normal plastic connector.
How would you recommend I connect the wiring to enable me to enclose it behind the wall light? Are there "special" connectors I can use which can safely connect the wires so I can then insulate them with tape and/or a sheath? Any advise would be most welcome!
Regards, Sam.

Sponsored Links
I've come up against the same problem every time I've tried to fit an 'uplighter' style wall light - the cable connectors supplied are always too big to actually fit inbetween the recess in the back of the light and the wall.

What I've always done is chisel a small recess out of the wall behind where the light fitting will be, to allow room for the connectors. Make sure it's big enough to accomodate the wiring comfortably, but doesn't affect the screws/bracket which need to hold the light fitting onto the wall! (This requires a bit of care if you've got ancient crumbly Victorian walls like mine.....)

Hope this helps.

Its not a good idea to leave terminals in a wall unprotected. For each of the lights, purchase a flush mounting box for an architrave style light switch and sink it into the wall. These are similar to those sunk into the walls for light switches, but are much smaller. Don't forget to earth them if they're metal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back