Replacing wall light with under-cupboard lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya

I want to put up a new wall cupboard in my kitchen, but the wall in question currently had a light on it. I decided that I would remove the light and use the existing connection for some under-cupboard strip lights.

Having removed the light, I can see that there is a 4" cable with a terminal block on the end (to which the original light was attached). I can connect the under-cupboard lights to this, but I was wondering if it would be OK to leave a 'naked' terminal block behind the new cupboard? I know people used choc boxes to enclose them, but there is only 1cm of clearance behind the cupboard - I'd have to bash a chunk in the wall to sit it in.

Cheers,

Sponsored Links
no, and the connections would have to be accessible.

Could you cut a hole in the back of the cupboard instead?

You mean poke the cables through the back of the cupboard and have a choc box on the inside? Or maybe I could use a standard junction box instead. Hmm, that should work. Annoyingly the back of the cupboard is hardboard and the existing cable isn't long enough to reach any of the chipboard sides :(

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Assuming the cable rises to the ceiling - trace the route and channel out the old cable until it is above the wall unit.
Fit it into an ordinary or maintenance free jb on top of the unit and run your new under cupboard light cable down the inside corner of your unit in 16*16 trunking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back