Replacing x4 wall lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
I'm new to this forum so please forgive me if I have done anything wrong.
Basically I am wanting to swap over 4 wall lights in my living room. The ones that are currently on the wall are double bulbed lights, there are four different coloured wires on each (yellow/green, 2x brown, 2x blue and red) however on the new single bulbed light fitting that I want to put up there are only 3 different wires (yellow/green, 1x brown and 1x blue) does anyone have a little help for me on what to do, is it literally a straight swap? But what about the red wire and there are x2 brown and blue wires on the original lights.

Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Matt

Ps I have a couple photos but not sure how to upload to this thread. If this helps

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
You just need to transfer the new brown, blue & g/y to where the old pairs are.

That is brown to red, blue to black and g/y to g/y.

Unless I'm missing something, the only red wires I can see are the ones coming from the wall that connect to the brown wires to the fitting.

On the existing fitting you have brown, blue & green/yellow. The new fitting has exactly the same, albeit only one of each.

Thank you EFLImpudence, much appreciated. Just one more thing, would it be best to use the block that is already on the the wall and take the block off the new fitting and just put the new fitting wires into the original block?
Thanks
Matt

Yes securespark I think you're correct, just me being silly!! And panic over nothing really, Thanks much appreciated guys.

Thank you EFLImpudence, much appreciated. Just one more thing, would it be best to use the block that is already on the the wall and take the block off the new fitting and just put the new fitting wires into the original block?
Doesn't matter.

Looks like you have a few conductors to wrestle with there: are there 3 reds or are my dodgy peepers deceiving me?

It may be easier to leave the block on the house wiring and just connect the three wires from the fitting.

Whichever you choose, if you can bribe a partner or child to help by holding the fitting while you do it, it's easier all round!

Looks like you have a few conductors to wrestle with there: are there 3 reds or are my dodgy peepers deceiving me?

It may be easier to leave the block on the house wiring and just connect the three wires from the fitting.

Whichever you choose, if you can bribe a partner or child to help by holding the fitting while you do it, it's easier all round!

Cheers mate, probably leave the one that already there and just connect new fitting wires!! Sounds easier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back