Repointing old bricks, not sure what mortar to use and how deep.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got to some brickwork repairs to an outbuilding, it's quite old around 120 years+

The pointing is on the inside, as it's pebble-dashed, some of the current mortar I've scrapped back 25mm from the brick face.

The bricks are the old slim type hand-made jobs. The mortar looks to be lime based (guessing) with some sharp sand in there.

There are also few bricks to chop out here and there (water damage from crappy roof) and I'd like to make the job as strong a possible... so do I use normal sand/cement mortar, or should I use something else with lime?

Are lime mortars strong enough when compared to modern sand cement?

TIA

Sponsored Links
25mm deep is enough.

If the existing is lime, then you really should use lime mortar for repairs. Hydraulic lime and not the typical and more common hydrated lime in the merchants.

But as it's internal and limited, then you could use a weak 6:1 sand:cement mix instead.

The idea of making it "as strong as possible" is wrong, as all that will do is crack as the rest of the wall moves differently, and actually serves no purpose for isolated repairs.

Thanks for the reply, I wasn't expecting such a weak mix.

Sorry to ask another question, upon inspection I need to replace a length of wall plate due to water damage/rot.
Would this 'lean mix' be suitable for this too?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes it will be OK. The thing to rember is to iron the face of the joints well, and this makes it more wear resistant, which in turn protects the rest of the mortar behind.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back