Repointing with lime mortar – remove all cement mortar first?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have read on various websites that lime mortar is recommended for repointing older properties with no cavity. In my case, this is an Accrington brick end-terrace built in 1901. It looks like the property has been repointed at various times historically and it's highly likely that this was done using a typical cement based mortar. I understand this is bad because cement based mortars create an impermeable layer, possibly resulting in damp problems internally and increased freeze-thaw damage at the edges of the bricks.

The property needs repointing and I'm considering getting it done properly, accepting the current wisdom by using a lime based mortar. However, the potential long term problems caused by cement based mortars are playing on my mind and so I'm considering raking out all the previously repointed joints and so doing the entire house using lime mortar. Is it worth it?

I have no experience in any of this, and I have no idea about how difficult it is to remove cement mortar tidily and minimising damage to the bricks. I won't be attempting any of this myself but I need a good understanding so I know what to specify to the builders.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated :)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Lime pointing should be very white, so to get a nice even finish on your house you should do the lot in lime.
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back