Report before firm will take on a maintenance contract.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My father-in-laws central heating has broken down a few times lately and my brother-in-law arranged for a maintenance contract. However it seems now they want £400 before taking it on to do some repairs.

I am not that happy about the report, some items due to not understanding what is being said:-
* BHC failed, as system requires (unable to read next bit) but what is a BHC?
* Pipe work around pump and 2 port valve corroded, yet both valves are less than 2 months old.
* Main equipotential bonding present/correct No ringed and note after fibre tee. (I thought it should at moment be after fibre tee although think this is one of the things addressed with 18th edition of BS7671.

It missed that the thermostat is well out of spec, and there is no radiator in the main room of the house, I wanted to get the system repaired before getting a maintenance contract but my thoughts were dismissed.

We had a microswitch in motorised valve fail, which caused the pump to be running 24/4 even with valves closed, the programmer was set to thermo syphon but actually S plan is used, and the thermostat is set to 10°C but room at around 22°C. The pump stopped and only way to keep it running was to turn up the speed to full, not surprised as it had been running against a closed valve for some time. I wanted to change the pump. My brother-in-law feels once contract signed they will need to change pump under the contract.

To put the system to their satisfaction they want an extra £400 which is not that much when likely they will need to change pump quite soon. Plus the thermostat.

However if I was changing the thermostat I would fit a programmable one, they will likely change like for like.

If my house I would fit Nest but he has no internet, so likely a cheap thermostat anyway would have to do.

My house has two radiators in the main room, one standard the other a Myson and same design of house, he is using a gas fire in the main room, because no radiator which he tends to forget about and the room is really roasting. Since the house is open plan and just an arch between living and dining room, and thermostat is just in dinning room, the central heating turns its self off, so kitchen becomes very cold, so he uses a oil filled radiator in kitchen where he seems to spend most of his time.

What I need is arguments I can use to get brother-in-law to get the central heating fixed proper, as since I live nearer to father-in-laws house it is me who is called when it goes wrong.

Any help please in how to persuade them to simply get it fixed rather than put in a maintenance contract?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back