Repositioning loft light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

About twenty years ago (before we had decent insulation, boards etc), I installed a pull cord switch and two lights in the loft. They’ve been great, considering the use they’ve had. However, due to having a new loft ladder fitted. the old pull cord switch needs to be positioned.

I’ve had a look and racked my brains, struggling to recall how I did it. (63 now) Looks but like I extended circuit from last ceiling rose to switch, and then connected switch to lights. (Both twin core and earth)

I can get to light switch easily. (Still working but connected to section of loft floorboard that the installer had to remove to extend opening)

I just wanted to confirm my understanding/memory.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
you may have taken the neutral to the switch and just connected those together in the back box and then the switch just switches the live - BUT there are a few ways to do it
perhaps post a photo may help

twin and earth from from the feed in/out from last ceiling rose

now you have live and neutral

The live wire goes to one connection in the switch , the neutral into a connection block - that you put in the back of the rose - OR a junction box next to

the twin and earth to the lights

the live wire goes to the other part of the switch connection - the neutral into the same connection block - that you put in the back of the rose - OR a junction box next to

Cheers. I’m not as nimble as I used to be (eyesight also deteriorated)

I’ve attached images to show connectors for the pull cord switch, the lights in loft and the cables going from the switch. The cable on left goes back to the “last ceiling rose” and the one on the right goes up to the first light. The lights are connected by twin core and earth. Not sure if that helps?
1E8DA184-0A9B-4F50-A39B-700C3D19ED05.jpeg
1A4D1CEE-F1DC-4909-9A52-8F8BDC4A325E.jpeg
515B2A08-2B4D-45E0-8039-FC1A3722EECB.jpeg
C3D2FDDD-A859-4607-8A9C-0C873501896C.jpeg

Your present switch is a double-pole one which also switches the Neutral.

Assuming it is connected correctly these are the terminals.

1653922353560.png

If your new switch is only a single-pole then just use the L terminals and connect the Neutrals together.

Sponsored Links
Thank you. Can’t recall why I bought a double pole switch all those years ago??

Hi again

Sorry for previous double post. (Looks like it hadn’t sent, then you have a duplicate!)

Variation on a theme now. Previously had double pole one way, now have single pole two way. (Don’t need neon, as light will be in loft) I wanted a thin switch, and these all seem to be two way?

I’m assuming I just need to put the two live wires into the com and both neutrals into L1 for the switch to work? (Earths in backing box)

Thanks

4A341E7E-7163-427C-BE83-1084FF59B4BC.jpeg

No - you will need to join the neutrals up in a separate connector from the switch , live in com and live in L1 or L2
otherwise you will short out the live to neutral and blow the fuse/mcb/ecd

the double pole - keeps the live and neutral separate and switches both , and so theres is a connection terminal for all the cables you have
the New switch does NOT have connections for the Neutral

if a small box, not sure if a connector will fit and then what the rules are for connecting up outside - maybe a 20A 4 terminal junction box , if its available for maintenance

I should have asked you to clarify “connect the neutrals together”…

I’ve got another double pole switch lurking around somewhere, so will use that.

It’s almost like neutral has been superseded by events in terms of connections in the new breed of switches.

It’s almost like neutral has been superseded by events in terms of connections in the new breed of switches.
naturals in the past rarely went to the switch - just live, but because they used T&E - Red (Brown) Live and black (Blue) used as switched live return, often sleeved red (brown) - often people think because of the colour of the cable - its neutral, when it is not
hence why you used the double pole switch - i suspect - to make it easy

Thanks. Not going to need the separate neutral connection now, but for future ref: When you said above “need to join up neutrals, separate connection from switch etc”…Did you mean separate connector as still going from switch, but separate? (Conversely, separate from switch entirely?)

You also repeated “live in” to com, L1?

Sorry to be so obtuse

live in com and live in L1 or L2
Sorry Live switch OUT

“need to join up neutrals
The neutrals are currently in the double pole switch and when the switch is made - they connect
Now you no longer have that option
BUT the 2 wires neutral - have to be connected together - so the lamp has a neutral
nolonger will be connected in your new switch
so they need a connector of some kind, as i say not sure of the regs - so may need to wait for an expert to reply - which hopefully they will

I would add a choc-block and connect the 2 neutrals together and leave in the switch back box - BUT they may not fit as its a small box, and so need connecting outside the box, which is here you may need a 20A 4 connecrtor box to do that and keep all the T&E sleeveing inside a container

Ok. Thank you again, Going to utilise dp switch now, so hopefully good to go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back