Reposted from Building. Recommended distance in front of WC?

Sponsored Links
Thanks! I'll move the basin nearer the shower to see if I can get nearer that figure.

I think about 300mm is the max I can get :(

Sponsored Links
I can pee from nearer the side. It's the sitting down and standing up that's the problem.

I thought any change to wc's will involve the building control officer and he will want to see 750mm in front of the wc for disabled access which every home must have on the 'entrance floor'.

May not apply to a hoilday chalet but it did to my holiday flat conversion. :cry:

regs state 750mm foreward 800mm width
but i would say this isn't being done through bc.

The British Standard is indeed BS 6465-2 (I have a copy to hand, so yes you can be surprised :D ).

These aren't regulations, but are guidance only:

[code:1]This Part of BS 6465 gives recommendations for the spaces to be provided for the location, installation, use and maintenance of sanitary appliances within dwellings, places of work or public amenities. These recommendations do not cover the needs of all disabled people and reference should be made to BS 5619 and BS 5810[/code:1]

6465-2 recommends that 800mm width and 600mm depth (forward of the toilet pan) should be allocated as activity space. The requirements vary for other sanitary appliances (i.e. sinks, basins and baths) and although are only guidelines I would imagine some BCOs would use them to reinforce their interpretation of the building regulations.

BS 5619 and BS 5810 make no explicit space requirement recommendations for disabled people, but 5810 does recommend bathroom size for wheelchairs, and placement of W/Cs therein (though not a lot you can do with an existing bathroom in that respect).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back