Require new Boiler BTU ? KW ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I need a new boiler
I have a 25 year old Glowworm 42000 btu output one.
4 bed 2 bath house
I will be going for a combi boiler, I need a good hot water rate for baths etc. How many KW output should the new boiler be. I need this info for when i call in a plumber, so he does not try and sell me a smaller on (thinking i want cheap) i dont mind a bigger one need plenty of hot water.
thanks
thestantonman :?: :confused:

Sponsored Links
If your so obsessed with hot water (and you particually mention baths) perhaps a combi is not the best option for you.

If you are set on it then I think about the higheset flow rate combi is the Baxi 133HE which will deliver about 16.5 litres a minute of hot water.

For the size house you have heating is pretty much irrelvant as just about any combi will cope with your heating requirements.

HarrogateGas said:
If your so obsessed with hot water (and you particually mention baths) perhaps a combi is not the best option for you.

Perhaps it is as there are a plethora of suitable models on the market.

If you are set on it then I think about the higheset flow rate combi is the Baxi 133HE which will deliver about 16.5 litres a minute of hot water.

It is not. The Alpha CD50 is the highest wall mounted flowrate. Well actually the highest is a 76kW MAN. The ECO Hometec (MAN) has been pushing out about 20 litres/min for years and years now.

There are floor mounted combis that can do quite high flowrates: Viessman 333, Worcester-Bosch, Vokera, ACV, Powermax, Ideal and Gledhill have one that does up to three bathrooms. The ACV is approaching that. All one-box solutions.

He may want to consider a high flowrate Rinnai or Andrews two bathroom Multi-point water heater. Can be fitted outside, and a small modulating CH system boiler inside - cost effective. Never runs out of hot water and the perfect mate for a body jet shower.

The Rinnais are Japanese and are very reliable.

He might also want to consider two 24kW combis split between doing independent CH on each floor (two zones) and split between bathrooms. Join the outlets up using two check valves for the baths. The two fill the bath brilliantly. And backup if one is down. That is a very cost effective route to take - look at what it offers for such a low price.

It is all there - take your choice.

Can you really see a 72kw boiler being justified in a four bedroomed property??

Most of the boilers you name are strange makes which i, in the past have struggled to get parts for....I dont doubt they are proberbly relieble machines but when they do go wrong it can be a nightmare getting someone out to fix them or obtain the correct parts.

You also name some commercial manufacturers.Andrews for example.

No we all know the cost of installing such appliances is greater, the cost of the appliance is greater and the cost of maintainance is greater....is this a god option.

Yes ther is the floor mounted option it all depends on space really.

The cheapest option would be for him to DO IT YOURSELF as you so incorrectly preach about. Perhaps he could run the new 32mm gas pipe to his new 72KW boiler. Imagine the how water delivery from a 500kw house fire.........fantastic!

Sponsored Links
two 24kw combis cost effective?? 2 decent boilers £2000, 2 x installtion costs, 2 x servicing costs, 2 x repair costs.

is that cost effective for you?

HarrogateGas said:
Can you really see a 72kw boiler being justified in a four bedroomed property??

Depends on how much they need the flow rate. A number body jet showers and it comes into its own. Never runs out of hot water.

Most of the boilers you name are strange makes which i, in the past have struggled to get parts for....I dont doubt they are proberbly relieble machines but when they do go wrong it can be a nightmare getting someone out to fix them or obtain the correct parts.

HRPC stock most of the parts for them. Plum Centre can order any one of the appliances. They not be flavour of the month around your trade counter in Yorkshire, but those who buy Viessman would sneer at your Baxis - and quite right to as it is a class act (they are not as expensive as people think - Viessmann are one of the biggest boiler makers in the world) .

All these makers have their own service teams of some description too. No need to go to the local Corgi shark plumber who probably will not know what he is looking at - as usual, and charge £40 to £50 to look at it and do nothing.

You also name some commercial manufacturers. Andrews for example.

They rebadge a Japanese multi-point. Could be a Takagi.

No we all know the cost of installing such appliances is greater,

Are you serious? A combi is simple. A one box solution with 5 or 6 pipes off it.

the cost of the appliance is greater and the cost of maintenance is greater....is this a god option.

The appliance cost may be greater than what? They are mainly quality products and deliver high flows, so it will not BIASI prices that is for sure.

Yes ther is the floor mounted option it all depends on space really.

There are washing machine sized units to slip into a kitchen. The Powermax breaks down to lift into then loft.

The cheapest option would be for him to DO IT YOURSELF as you so incorrectly preach about. Perhaps he could run the new 32mm gas pipe to his new 72KW boiler. Imagine the how water delivery from a 500kw house fire.........fantastic!

Are you claiming that competent people cause fires? Look at the problems Corgi sharks cause. Look at the Corgi mag and those that are kicked out and that is just the tip of the iceberg.

I find it amazing that you don't even know the range of top appliances available and what they can do. Appliances that deliver and are quaility.

thestantonman said:
Thabk you people I think ill look into the baxi boiler

A good choice, ive installed a number of these and have not had a single piece of of bother with any of them..........one of the originals i installed about 5-6 years ago. It has not skipped a beat in that time. I even had a xmas card and box of toffee from one customer that was so delighted with the performance of the Baxo combi boiler i installed last March.

This is one of the few domestic wall hung combis that will generate enough flow for someone to have a shower and someone else run a tap for washing upat the same time.

The intelligent preheat is fantastic too and great idea.

HarrogateGas said:
two 24kw combis cost effective??

Yep.

2 decent boilers £2000,

Two Sabres (rebadged Vokera Compacts) for £1,000. Two "branded" combis will not be more than £1,500.

2 x installtion costs,

One installation cost, as both in one house. Fitting two side by side takes no time at all.

2 x servicing costs,

That is drawback, but the cost can be negotiated down as two are in one hosue.

2 x repair costs.

Nope. They share the load so are used 50% less.

is that cost effective for you?

Yep, You should learn to add up. NO extra pipework, no cylidners, no expensive troublesome zone valves, no complex control wiring, etc.

Look at what it offers as well. Cheap to run as the upstairs can be off most of the day. High pressure DHW, fast bath fills. Backup if one down, very fast CH heat ups in the morning. NEVER runs out of DHW.

Use some logic and put costings to it. Compare the functions it gives then cost it using two boilers (backup), unvented cylinder or whatever, three zone valves, complex control wiring, extra pipework, etc. Then the space these tanks and cylinders take up.

No contest. The two combis wins hands down.

Water Systems said:
HarrogateGas said:
This is one of the few domestic wall hung combis that will generate enough flow for someone to have a shower and someone else run a tap for washing upat the same time.

The intelligent preheat is fantastic too and great idea.

You really should get to know about combis and what is on the market. The Baxi 133 has a pretty poor flowrate to what is availabe on the market.

He would be better looking at an Alpha CD50. He needs a decent flowrate and the Baxi is not up to his needs.

BTW, the Powermax I mentioned is made by Baxi.

I call 16.5literes per minute a very good flow rate from a domestic combi that doesnt cost the earth.

The alpha will deliver 18liters per minute (not a lot more than the Baxi) but will only deliver this quantity of hot water until the store is depleted. Then the flow rate drop down considerably.

The Baxi however will deliver 16.5 litres of hotwater indefinatly.

Pay your money and take your choice.

otoh 35 kw combis proliferate the market and are cheaper still but still might make the grade.

There are more choices than just the Baxi in the 40kw region.

The two combi option is the best if practical in terms of fluing.

The storage combi (whether Baxi ALpha or Worcester) has certain pros against the 40kw combis and certain cons. It isn't just a simple decision.

How about the Alpha solar pack and a cd32c? I'll come and supply and fit it for you for £6,000.

Lets remember we ALL have space for two combi's side by sides.

To be honest ive never heard of such nonsense in all my live.

to say they will work 50% less s incorrect.i say parts will wear ideantical to having one boiler.

The fans will run the same the gas valve will open the same etc.

HarrogateGas said:
Lets remember we ALL have space for two combi's side by sides.

To be honest ive never heard of such nonsense in all my live.

Should we take you seriously when you advocate a Baxi. Poxi/Batterton are a waste of sheet metal. Go and work with some real boilers.

to say they will work 50% less s incorrect.i say parts will wear ideantical to having one boiler.

The fans will run the same the gas valve will open the same etc.

Please think. The upstairs combi will be off a lot of the time. The DHW is shared between the two, so less DHW switching by 50%. Of course they will last longer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back