Rerouting sewer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm thinking of building a small extension for a wc and small utility room at the back of the house. The waste disposal sewer for the whole street runs along the back of the properties so am I right in saying that I'll have to reroute it (and stop the neighbours using the toilet while it's done) or can I get an RSJ or similar to brace part of the extension instead of digging foundations? A builder may be a good idea!!!!

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
first you need to know how deep down the drain pipe is. whatever the depth, your new building's foundations will have to be dug deeper. even if that pipe is 6 feet deep!

building over a sewer pipe is fairly straightforward, building along and upon a sewer pipe is a no-no.

if a wall or foundation wishes to pass over a sewer pipe at 90 degrees then it is a case of either, shuttering the concrete either side and lintelling over, stopping the brickwork either side and lintelling over, or simply wrapping the pipe in compressible material (fibreglass insulation) and concreting it in.

if you wish to do work on a live sewer then you use a drain plug with a removable outlet. you cannot possibly ask folks not to use the loo. :eek: :LOL:

Check who owns the drain before you do anything. If it's a public drain - i.e. owned by your local sewerage company - you need to make a build-over agreement with them before building within 3 metres.

In any case I would advise having a cctv survey before and after the work in case problems occur later.

Sponsored Links
And no matter which of the above paths you choose to take, all of them are subject to LABC (Local Authority Building Control) approval.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back