resealing a leaking sink...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Suspect I'm on a loser with this one.

I've got a kitchen sink where the sealant looks to have failed at the back (the side that's to the wall) and the worktop is swelling. It's due for replacement anyway, but in a year or two, and I'd rather not have folk in doing work at the moment.

Given that the worktop is already distorted, is there any hope of getting a good seal on it to stop it getting worse? I don't fancy my chances of getting the old stuff cleaned off properly as there's not much room to work and (as mentioned) the worktop is no longer a straight line. Slap on silicone and hope for the best? I can see sealant tapes, are they any good? With the best will in the world, it's a location that's going to get wet...

Sponsored Links
7668F596-DDF5-447F-8AF2-D472362418D9.jpeg 921B3445-B107-4DB7-BEDD-45AEEBECA513.jpeg F3FFD17A-3740-4447-9686-F9D8B6952D67.jpeg

There’s not a lot to see as the swelling isn’t obvious in a photo. Not sure if that chip was where the problem started, but the comes and goes for maybe ten inches along the back. There’s only an inch of worktop between sink and wall.

Sponsored Links
No doubt. I’m just dubious about getting a good seal in there when there’s not much space, I can’t see it properly, and the worktop and sink are out of line due to the swelling. I’m possibly overthinking it though.

By the looks, the cut-out in the worktop wasn't done tight enough, can see overcut in top left-corner of sink, bare chipboard drinking in water right there.
Just flood it with clear CT1 until worktop can be replaced.

Yeah, just get a larger bead of silicone in/on there. Give the current silicone and area a good clean with white spirit first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back