Resetting laptop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a toshiba l300 satelite laptop and its getting incredibly slow its painstaking, can anyone tell me what to do ? I have defragged it and deleted as many things I can but for someone who only really uses it for the internet its starting to get annoying.
I was thinking about resetting it so that it wipes the hard drive clean but I dont seem to have a resetting disc, can anyone help me or advise me on what to do please, thanks in advance for any help, kind regards Paul...

Sponsored Links
Assuming that you are running up-to-date anti-virus and firewall, I would suggest you download and run ccleaner, from piriform. This may be enough.

If you need to recover the original state, you will need a recovery disc (specific to your machine type), or there may be hidden recovery partition on the disc, depending on the age of the machine. Access to the recovery partition, if there is one, is normally given in the user manual.

I have found the recovery partition on an odd Toshiba by holding, and keeping, the number '0' key down while switching the power on from cold and waiting for the machine to settle down. This may not work for your machine, depending on it's age.

Hope this helps.

Guessing you did the old self cleanup on the C drive ?

Right click on the C: drive and in properties click Disk clean. Say Yes to everything from there.

In Control panel in Remove Software Delete all software not in use especially free games.

In windows delete all cookies in the cookies file

In Windows delete all temporary Internet files

Delete all Internet History in your browsers (any you don't want)

Hope this helps

Sponsored Links
The biggest speed increase is normally by increasing RAM, or installing a faster [7200 RPM] HD or better still a SSD

Also change the browser temp file to something like 50mb

If web pages are slow to load, check your wifi or connection speed and see if there is a better web cache proxy than the one your ISP provides. Or try a different browser

Back