Resistance reading meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My present meter requires me to choose between five switches in order to read a resistors value.
(200 2000ohm 20k 200k 2000k).
Am I correct in assuming there are such meters that automatically sort out "which switch" and give a true reading in ohms straight away.
If so, would be grateful for advice on best buy for occasional hobby use.
Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
How often do you use the resistance range, may be worth paying more for a Fluke T5, the range is limited to 1000 ohms, but it features other things and far safer for testing mains voltages, if you do that sort of thing.
For hobby use may be a bit too much, but Imo better for household electrical work.

https://www.edwardes.co.uk/en/produ...MIqvvO97_83wIVxbTtCh25OA8tEAQYAiABEgImvPD_BwE
jpg

A good quality meter from a reputable supplier, 3 year warranty
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/digital-multimeters/1231938/
Although I wouldn't dream of using a multimeter for measuring temperature, I wonder if many would regard this one as 'fit for that purpose' ...
Temperature Measurement Resolution: 1 °C, 1 °F
Best Temperature Measurement Accuracy: ±3% + 8 Digits, ±3% ± 5 Digits

... unless I've got it wrong, by my reckoning, that seems to mean that an actual temp of, say, 20 °C could display as anything between 11° and 29° which is hardly the height of accuracy, and probably not accurate enough to be of any practical use!

Kind Regards, John

Never been a fan of auto-ranging. I worry that removing the need for the user to check it's on the right setting develops the habit of thinking they never need to check, and then come the day when they use a non-auto one, and connect it to 230V when it's on a current range...

They don’t select between V I R ... Do they???!
Quite. Even a non-auto-ranging one would not be very impressed with "230V when its on its current range", it's only possible salvation being a fuse!

Kind Regards, John

Quite. Even a non-auto-ranging one would not be very impressed with "230V when its on its current range", it's only possible salvation being a fuse!

Kind Regards, John
This is why I like the clamp on type, although on current range the leads are still not short circuit.

I have a meter to measure resistance, the low range uses at least 200 mA to measure with which is required by regulations, and the high range uses 500 volt to measure with, again as required by regulations, I can't see how any meter could combine the two.

Even the old AVO Mk8 has two different batteries for the different ranges, and with my clamp-on meter one range measures voltage across the resistance not ohms, so you can test diodes, again this can't be combined unless duel display.

Not sure I want the display to switch between ohms, K ohms, and M ohms without my switching some thing, the problem is to easy to read 23MΩ across your fingers and think you have a 23Ω resistor.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
OK. I am talking about a simple meter to auto measure the small resistors usually supplied, say, in DIY electronic kits (I don't intend to re-wire the house or break into the National Grid!)

OK. I am talking about a simple meter to auto measure the small resistors usually supplied, say, in DIY electronic kits (I don't intend to re-wire the house or break into the National Grid!)
In practice, for your purposes, I don't think you'd be disappointed by one from the ebay search above. And if you are, it's not a lot to lose.

But you don't need to measure those...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back