Resistance reading meter

I have a meter to measure resistance, the low range uses at least 200 mA to measure with which is required by regulations, and the high range uses 500 volt to measure with, again as required by regulations, I can't see how any meter could combine the two.
To the best of my knowledge, even in the absence of auto-ranging, virtually all of even the most expensive of devices sold as "multimeters" (which commonly claim resistance measurement up to something in the 20MΩ - 50MΩ range) use the same very low voltage (typically ≤3V) for all resistance measurements. That is, for example, true of most/all of the most expensive devices Fluke sell as "multimeters".

There are a few exceptions, in the name of "Insulation Multimeters" or suchlike (like the Fluke 1587FC) which (separate from the 'normal' resistance measurements) do high resistance measurements at voltages up to 500V or 1000V, but they are very unusual, and expensive for what they are - I imagine that most people would use MFTs or standalone IR testers for that purpose, not a 'multimeter'.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Actually many resistor manufacturers are saving money by leaving off any identification. At least for SMDs. It can be a real pain.
Indeed, and I don't know whether it is due to diminishing size, my ageing eyesight, inconsistencies in colours used or whatever, but I personally am finding it increasingly difficult to confidently read the coloured bands on many a 'traditional' (axial) resistor these days! Were it not for the fact that one at least knows that they are almost certainly going to be some 'preferred' value (E12 or whatever), the lack of that clue would probably make it even more difficult!

In context, this means that I now often do reach for a resistance-measuring device, 'just to confirm' - something that I wouldn't have dreamed of having to do a few decades ago.

Kind Regards, John

Yes, and when text is used on E96 values, the numbers often have no obvious relation to the values.

Sponsored Links
Indeed, and I don't know whether it is due to diminishing size, my ageing eyesight, inconsistencies in colours used or whatever, but I personally am finding it increasingly difficult to confidently read the coloured bands on many a 'traditional' (axial) resistor these days!
I am in the same boat,
upload_2019-1-21_13-58-10.png

Or something like this, which can also be jolly useful when attempting to use the pesky little things...

upload_2019-1-21_13-59-57.png

Yes, I use such optical aids as well. However, I think there is possibly an issue with colours used these days (or my colour vision, which is not helped by optical aids), since I sometimes still end up with at least some uncertainty - and particularly if that uncertainty relates to the 'multiplier' band, that can be pretty important!

particularly when the resistor is one of those metal film ones with a dark blue body.
Indeed - and that seems to represent most of the ones I deal with these days. Oh for the days of the large white ceramic ones :)

One thing which rather surprises me is that I sometimes find myself not totally sure whether I am looking colour A or colour B when one would not really have expected that those two colours would/could be very easily confused!

Kind Regards, John

The good older days Body Tip Spot

0x60.jpg

and some , mainly goverment or military, had thier value writen on them by hand. ( I had some but they went in a clear out years ago which I now regret )

I fail to see anything "Good" on that search.

The OP doesn't need a Fluke. He's a hobbyist. I have the meter I linked to.

It is true RMS - my Fluke isn't.
It measures Hz - my Fluke doesn't.
It measures capacitance - my Fluke doesn't.
It beeps on continuity - my Fluke doesn't.
It is light and compact - my Fluke isn't.
... ... ... ...there's many more!!

For a tinkerer/DIYer, or even as a backup for a professional, I actually think it is a very good meter, especially for the price. I bought it for tinkering in the home/shed/car/van where it might get wet/greasy/painted, etc. But it's starting to become my first choice meter!

It is ........................ my Fluke isn't. .......................
For a tinkerer/DIYer, or even as a backup for a professional, I actually think it is a very good meter, especially for the price.
I totally agree. It looks at least as good as the one I have used routinely for years (despite having many others, including an olf Fluke).

Kind Regards, John

It is true RMS - my Fluke isn't.
It measures Hz - my Fluke doesn't.
It measures capacitance - my Fluke doesn't.
It beeps on continuity - my Fluke doesn't.
It is light and compact - my Fluke isn't.
... ... ... ...there's many more!!

For a tinkerer/DIYer, or even as a backup for a professional, I actually think it is a very good meter, especially for the price. I bought it for tinkering in the home/shed/car/van where it might get wet/greasy/painted, etc. But it's starting to become my first choice meter!

Personally I'd disagree, since you have no basis to believe any of the readings it gives to you. No professional would put their trust in a meter like that, particularly with regards to their own personal safety and the supposed CAT rating.

Personally I'd disagree, since you have no basis to believe any of the readings it gives to you. No professional would put their trust in a meter like that ....
There probably will be 'a basis', in the form of claimed accuracy in accompanying documentation - although you may feel that it's not a basis on which you could rely. If you did have such doubts, you could easily check the accuracy of the measurements for yourself. In any event, the accuracy of an electrician's measurements with a multimeter are rarely, if ever, going to be of crucial importance.
... particularly with regards to their own personal safety and the supposed CAT rating.
Whilst there are theoretical concerns about safety of meters, I've personally never been able to get excited about it (and was using meters to measure voltages >1000V decades before anyone even thought about such safety issues) - provided both meter and lads have no 'exposed parts', I'm essentially happy. I strongly suspect that an electrician is far more likely to come to harm during his/her journey to a job than as a result of a 'meter incident' ('explosion' or whatever) after he/she gets there! However, it's obviously a personal judgement/decision.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back