Resisting the hard sell - not so difficult!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So the father of a boy in my son's class wants to come around to introduce us to a "valuable marketing opportunity."

"Is it Amway?" we ask.

"No - much better".

He turns up with a very cute blonde dolly-bird in a smart black suit. She unpacks all kinds of cartons and cases from her BMW and gradually we realise they are trying to sell us a vacuum cleaner. But wait - this is no ordinary vac - this is a Rainbow vac, made in Detroit since 1936 with only six design changes and using a water scrubbing system instead of a dirty old bag and filter.

So she pours stuff all over the carpet and sucks it up, all the while coming out with some half-truths like "this is the first domestic appliance to have a brushless motor!" (Well, perhaps it was back in 1970)

She pulls our faithful Henry apart and tries to show us how dirty and disgusting the filter is (but luckily I took it out and washed it last week so that part of her demo falls flat!) and she gives us all the stuff about the bugs that live in the bed and **** in the mattress, etc etc. All the while the bowl of water is getting dirtier and dirtier and it occurs to me that here we are watching the wet equivalent of the useless and lumpy Dyson, where you see all the dirt collecting spectacularly in the tube and feel good about your efforts.

Most of the time she's on her hands and knees on the floor and somehow she keeps managing to give me some first class views of her tidy little bum in tight trousers. It's becoming so obvious that I glance at Mrs RR to see if she's noticed but not being a bloke she hasn't.

Eventually we get to the price. A piece of card is laid with a flourish on the carpet in front of us. We can buy this miracle vac for £10.58 a week, over five years! "Wait a minute...." I'm thinking, "That's, er... £550 a year and.... er.... £2750 TO BUY A VACUUM CLEANER! Feck me!"

But if we took this one now and agreed to introduce another customer we could have it with a £150 a year discount! Wey hey!

She took my emphatic "NO!" in good spirit and hastily packed everything away again.

I wonder how the bowl of water would have coped with all the plaster dust, chunks of plasterboard and sawdust and bits of glass wool that our Henry gobbles up without complaint?

Sponsored Links
whilst she was on her hands and knees did you ask her how good the suction is?

my wifes friend has one of these type hoovers she swears blind by them. bloody mad if you ask me. some years ago i popped in and the bloke had come to service it (service a bloody hoover!) While sitting there they were both telling me how good it was. He then turns to her and tells her she can get a new one and sell the old one back to them and they will refurbish it and sell it to me and everyone gets a discount. Oh really, how much will it cost me? £750. At that point i spat my tea out and told him he was ****ing mental and if i spent that on a hoover my wife would cut my and his knackers off. He laughed. I told him i wasnt joking. He didnt try to sell me it anymore

Suffice to say i didnt buy it, but what are people that buy them on?

Well the bloke who introduced the saleswoman had bought one. He has his own business and I must say that I thought that as a self-employed businessman he would need to be a little more astute than that.

Sponsored Links
When I was a boy a salesman came round to sell one of these expensive hoovers and had been there hours.

I got bored and told the bloke someone was messing with his car, it broke his stride and he ended up leaving soon after.

I was expecting a clip round the ear from my parents, but they were dead pleased to be shot of him.

Regards

G

When I was a boy a salesman came round to sell one of these expensive hoovers and had been there hours.

Regards

G
When I was a boy they came round with Kleen-ezee Brushes :eek:

Now I'm feeling my age. This was circa 1980, probably didn't have Klean-eze back then.

Did he come from an outlying suburb of Liverpool called Kirkby by any chance?

:LOL: :LOL:

I wonder how the bowl of water would have coped with all the plaster dust, chunks of plasterboard and sawdust and bits of glass wool that our Henry gobbles up without complaint?

Ironically, if you type "Rainbow vacuum" into google you end up on a page that sells Numatic products... Numatic being the makers of the Henry vacuum cleaner!!! :LOL:

Back at school, my maths teacher came in grinning one morning. She explained that someone came round to sell her a hoover, and the Big Sell was that it had ONE HORSEPOWER!!! She explained how she went to her understairs cupboard and proudly pulled out a bog-standard 1000 watt hoover.

Being a maths teacher, she knew that 1 horsepower is about 750 watts.

The salesman didn't... :rolleyes: :cool:

I just wonder how much commision they must get? Because if I was recruited to sell a hoover at two and a half grand, the commision would have to be huge to get me to hoover other peoples houses, they must get a LOT of 'HOW MUCH?' then told to bugger off.

Sponsored Links
Back