Resistor hot in bathroom extract

Yes indeed, do not mention Schrödinger and his cat. That goes way above my head.
I was thinking you might have been referring to molecules about us are worlds containing molecules in the that are worlds, ad infinitum and likewise our world itself is a molecule/atom/electron of a bigger world , again ad infinitum . oh that does make mee head spin.

Sponsored Links
Yes indeed, do not mention Schrödinger and his cat. That goes way above my head.
:)
I was thinking you might have been referring to molecules about us are worlds containing molecules in the that are worlds, ad infinitum and likewise our world itself is a molecule/atom/electron of a bigger world , again ad infinitum . oh that does make mee head spin.
Ah, you're moving almost into philosophy, at least 'metaphysics' there. Yes, I think that, at least ion the early days after Bohr's description appeared, the apparent close similarity between an atom (as described by Bohr) and a solar system led people to think/talk along those lines, and I'm sure some still have such thoughts.

However, I think the further evolution of theories/models about atoms probably did a lot to weaken such thoughts, since we then found ourselves not talking so clearly about 'physical objects 'neatly orbiting' other physical objects.

As I've implied above, I think this is an area where physics and other disciplines (like philosophy, even 'fiction') tend to converge, all because our understanding of the physics is far from complete.

Kind Regards, John

I know.
Someone did comment that if I was to go up to the top of Blackpool Tower, then jump/fall off, as I hurtled towards terra firma, in my last moments I might think "Oh Heck, Gravity!" but I would in fact be wrong, gravity is not my real problem, it is the weakest of the four forces (although it is significantly much stronger than I am).

PS - I mentioned Blackpool Tower just because it is not too far from me but I could have said the Eifel Tower, Scott Monument, Tower Bridge, the Great Pyramid at Gizza or any number of amazing places.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I might think "Oh Heck, Gravity!" but I would in fact be wrong, gravity is not my real problem, it is the weakest of the four forces (although it is significantly much stronger than I am).
Indeed. I think that most of us don't realise how weak it actually is.

Perhaps the most convincing illustration of that I saw was on TV, when someone showed a tiny magnet holding up some lump of metal. He poined out that the entire mass of the earth was 'pulling down' on the object, but that the tiny magnet was more than capable of resisting that force.

Kind Regards, John

Gravity is weak ???? Try telling that to a weight lifter,
Well in comparison with the other three forces it is weak because it is the weakest. However in comparison with ourselves and lots of other stuff it is mind-blowingly strong Bernard.

In the scenario I mentioned all gravity would do is pull your molecules down towards the earth and being as they are so relatively far apart and likewise the molecules of terra firma are so far apart there would be very few collisions and not much consequence. The problem is really the electromagnetic bonds between the molecules is producing a very effective barrier so really you should be saying to yourself "Oh heck, Electromagnetism!".

Not that anyone would actually take you to task about it in your final moments though.

Last edited:
Gravity is weak ???? Try telling that to a weight lifter,
As ebee has said, it's all relative, with gravity being easily the weakest.

If the weight lifter was trying to 'lift' things which were being 'pulled down' by a magnet the size of the earth (rather than 'being pulled down' by the 'mere' force of gravity resulting from the mass of the earth) he/she would probably understand - since he/she would then probably not be able to even think about lifting something the size of a pin-head :)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back