restaurants continue to steal waiters' tips

Sponsored Links
I always thought that all restaurant staff apart from waiters were on a 'decent' hourly rate and that waiters were on minimum wage and relied on tips to bump up their wages.

I always thought that all restaurant staff apart from waiters were on a 'decent' hourly rate and that waiters were on minimum wage and relied on tips to bump up their wages.
Washer uppers are on low wages

Sponsored Links
Tipping across the Atlantic (Canada) is compulsory or woe betide. You even have the option to tip (on the card machine) when buying a a sandwich in a convenience store. Bonkers. The machine presents you with various increasing % tip options.

Our local carvery has such an option, in the card payment machine.

My cousins son has special needs, he works as a pot washer at Premier Inn, TBH he probably could not do another job but he has been there 10 years and really loves it, fair play to PI for giving him a chance.
And he should be accumulating a pension ... good for him (y)

And he should be accumulating a pension ... good for him (y)
He should be ok financially, his parents are very well positioned in that respect, although he will need assistance to manage money after their day.

How about tipping in advance? Deliveroo and places give you the option to tip in advance, a bit of a leap of faith when you don't know what service you get.

I don't mind tipping if something was good, I've been known to tip people who aren't routinely tipped if they were really helpful etc. We seem to be becoming more like the US where it's just expected rather than something given for exceptional service.

Supermarket workers are in general on minimum wage.
They don't get any tips.

Tipping across the Atlantic (Canada) is compulsory or woe betide. You even have the option to tip (on the card machine) when buying a a sandwich in a convenience store. Bonkers. The machine presents you with various increasing % tip options.

My first trip to a nightclub in Toronto I'd leave the coins from the change after buying 3 drinks.. it was about 15 cents. After the third time the young bartender Tipped it of the dish back at me.... it was a bit stinjee of me, I judt never got my head round the tip thing there

i only tip if i get good service.
I will also often ask for the service charge to be removed from the bill, if the service has NOT been good.

Its the attention to the detail , polite courteous and listens to what you ask, also if there are any delays being told. If the place is very very busy, the staff need to still be attentive.

If i feel they have done the minimum, no smile or grumpy, then i do not tip

I do expect the tips to go into a pool these days.

I would often pay the tip in cash, and know in some of frequently attended resturants/cafes they do put it in a pot.

One presented with a card machine and option to add a tip , i rarely do.

I have no idea how the tips are split between staff, especially if they go through the till. But , i would expect a few companies to keep them

If they go through the till, they will pay tax on them. (Supposed pay tax on tips even if they get tipped in cash)

Sponsored Links
Back