Restoration of 1920's tea trolly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well it doesn't sound much but this one was quite elaborate - solid oak and complex lathe turned legs. When I got given it, the top was split, all the joints were lose and the finish was virtually non-existant and stained in several places. The wheels were ceramic but obviously in need of lubrication. I suspect it had been left outdoors or in a leaky shed for some time. So the process went as follows: 1. Unscrew and ease apart the split top and the loose joints using one or two large chisels - discovered that they had originally all been strengthened with dowel and some of it got splintered in the process. No matter, Wickes sell various sizes of dowel for reasonable prices. Whatever glue was originally used I know not, only small traces remained. So pick up some proper wood glue when getting the dowel (not that overpriced Gorilla polyurethane rubbish).
2. Check that all the joints will fit back together tightly with a "dry run". Well no the split top will go but not without a 2.5 mm gap in the middle. I guess it was OK when first made but has warped. As it happens only one of the planks was "bent" so I drew an straight line from end to end and judiciously used my electric plane to straighten the "bent" edge.
3. Next paint glue onto all the joint surfaces and clamp the joints together until the glue is set hard - usually takes around 8 hours but it is proper "resin" wood glue so very strong.
4. Now for some real work - I set to sanding off what remains of the old finish down to bare wood using 120 grit paper and my B & D rotary tool to get into the awkward spots. This is laborious but essential to achieve the finish I want.
5. The finish I want is done with Colron Danish oil of the colour approved by HID - four coats and a light rub down after the first coat with 240 grit in order to remove any small rough spots.I will attach a picture to morrow.

Sponsored Links
Please save some custard cream biscuits for when you get around to me, and milk no sugar please!

Here ya go, must admit to a little pride:-
upload_2021-9-20_9-23-37.jpeg
upload_2021-9-20_9-23-37.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back